1/4 mile times

well i live like 10 minutes away from rochester by rose creek. im 17 years old so i dont know everything about cars. ill go look at my timing and see if i can find somethign wrong. i put alot of money in this engine so i want it to run as good as it can. i want to go back down to cedar falls too sometime soon.

• Sponsors (?)

i was just reading an article and i remember when i did the 1/4 mile i was shifting at about 4500-5000 rpms. should i be shifting it at a higher rpm? i think so but i think im running a little lean by the looks of my spark plugs so should i get that figured out first so i dont wreck something?
thanks

brianj5600 said:
I brought my #1 cylinder up to the top on the compression stroke. put an indicator in the hole and brought it up to true tdc.

That is not a very precise method. Clearances as well as the piston moving so slow at the top make it only close not exact. To find tdc use a hard stop and rotate against it in both directions. Tdc will be exactly between the two marks. If it is only a few degrees off it might be the method.

What do you mean? Actually if you really want to get picky you would measure it like .050 before tdc and .050 after. You would then want to split the measurement. Which is the same thing as what you are doing with the piston stop. Clearances have nothing to do with TDC. We are not trying to degree a cam in here. Then you would want the more accurate measurement. Being a couple of degrees off? You could measure timing and get say 10 degrees then I could measure it with a different gun and put my head at a little different angle and hold the gun at a different angle and I would come up with something probably a couple of degrees off from yours. Just to see if your balancer has moved, this is plenty close enough. If you really want to get picky, take it to the dyno with your gun and dyno it to get your best timing mark. By the way, what are your jets in that 750?? and yes that rpm is low. I was spinnng my old motor (windsor with stock compression and stock heads) to 6500. Had the motor in there for 12 years and just pulled it to put the 408 in. Ran 12.50's at 108.