#1 Prob?

speed666

Jan 3, 2004
Allright, so hopefully Ill be getting a '89 5.0 lx pretty soon, and its going to be my daily driver. Is it going to work good as a daily driver, or am I ganna have lots of problems and stuff? I dont have the money to be fixing stuff...

Also, whats some cheap, easy ways to bolt on a little horsepower?

• Sponsors (?)

well somtime 5.0's have some idle problems at start-up. But usually you don't have any problems as long as it has been properly maintained. a couple things you could do that would be free mods would be; advancing your timing to 14*, removing the airbox in the fenderwell, and one that would cost you about 40 bucks would be a K&N filter. But don't forget to tune it up when you get it:)

really tough to say without seeing the car. since you were talking about free mods, i think BG meant to say removing the airbox "silencer", not whole airbox, as a CAI costs money. and the K&N is worth the money, esp if you need a new air filter anyhow (unless you want a CAI sometime in the future).
for now, i would do as BG said, and just give it a good tune up. generally i spend a hundred or two (or more) doing this. change all fluids (oil, coolant, trans, rear end, etc, and all filters (oil, fuel, pcv valve, grommet, screen, and so on). do plugs, cap, rotor, serp belt, etc. i would do this and drive it for awhile to worm out any problems. nothing like doin a ton of work and finding something not working and havin a million variables (when it comes to mods, i try to only do one thing at a time). just doing all this will likely boost performance, as it has probably not been done lately.

good luck with the new purchase.

no problem, B.G.J. i knew what you meant, but figured it would spark a question by someone at some point (ah, how do i make the air filter stay in place???) :)

at least you knew you left out a word. i find that i re-read what i typed and i wonder what i was thinking when i typed it (Hllon just caught one i did earlier).

Try to get a 5.0 with low milage. Some people on Stangnet have 5.0's well over 200,000 miles and still running strong. So these motors can take a licking and keep on ticking.