1965 Basket Case

SfcColts

Oct 3, 2014
Ankeny, Iowa
20141002_093906.jpg
20140405_123400_Richtone(HDR).jpg
Hello everyone. Last October (2013) I purchased a 1965 Mustang coupe in a basket case condition.

The car was purchased by the previous owner in 1992 and over the next 2 years he and a buddy tore it all down. They put new quarters, rockers, doors, fenders, floors, and engine compartment aprons. Most of the new sheet metal they just screwed on or tack welded it in a couple of spots. They rebuilt the rear end, front end, motor, tranny, brakes, and more. Then 1994 rolled around and the work stopped due to his buddies death. The cars had 4 or 5 moves from garage to garage and Kansas City, Mo to Des Moines Ia. Then the car sat for 21 years with no progress until I happened along needing a winter project.

I've put the motor and tranny in the car and piddled around trying to organize the boxes and baggies of parts and pieces. In May of 2014 I took the Mustang to a body shop where my body man proceeded to weld in properly the panels applying por 15 to the underside of panels and the car. Then he painted it titanium metallic grey. Since the return from the body shop I've been putting the interior in, glass, and trying to get it finished.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks 5.onotslow it has come a long way. I'll post some more pictures when I get them of the interior, etc. The hardest part of this basket case was finding the parts. Most of the parts were there in baggies or in boxes. I would start to work on something and then have to look for a baggie that had a bracket in it. It seemed like it took longer to find the part I needed to do the task than it did to actually do the task.

Reactions: 1 user