1965 Mustang Hardtop Identification

kmccabe56

Jun 13, 2007
Hello

I prepare collector car appraisals.

Yesterday I went to inspect a 1965 Mustang Hardtop.

The left inner fender has been replaced and no serial number is present in this location.

The data plate on the end of the driver's door is completely painted over, larger than the data plate I expected to see and had no raised numbers or lettering on it, which suggested to me that the door had also been changed.

To add insult to all of these injuries, the Vin of the car on the title/ownership is bad. The ownership showed 5F07CC706343. It is my understanding there should only be a single letter where the two "C"s are. Additionally the first digit of the sequence number, in my opinion, should be lower than 7.

I have checked all of the glass installed in the car and find it all to have a 5D or 5E date code, which suggests that this car may have been built in June or later 1965.

The engine has also been changed. It is now supposed to be a 302 versus a 289-2V that the "C" in the vin suggests. The intake manifold has a C6 casting number.

Is there anywhere else on the vehicle to check for a secondary or partial vin ?

• Sponsors (?)

Hello

I prepare collector car appraisals.

Yesterday I went to inspect a 1965 Mustang Hardtop.

The left inner fender has been replaced and no serial number is present in this location.

The data plate on the end of the driver's door is completely painted over, larger than the data plate I expected to see and had no raised numbers or lettering on it, which suggested to me that the door had also been changed.

To add insult to all of these injuries, the Vin of the car on the title/ownership is bad. The ownership showed 5F07CC706343. It is my understanding there should only be a single letter where the two "C"s are. Additionally the first digit of the sequence number, in my opinion, should be lower than 7.

I have checked all of the glass installed in the car and find it all to have a 5D or 5E date code, which suggests that this car may have been built in June or later 1965.

The engine has also been changed. It is now supposed to be a 302 versus a 289-2V that the "C" in the vin suggests. The intake manifold has a C6 casting number.

Is there anywhere else on the vehicle to check for a secondary or partial vin ?

Sould be another VIN # on the passenger side inner fender UNDER the front fender. You'll need to remove the fender to see it.

Sould be another VIN # on the passenger side inner fender UNDER the front fender. You'll need to remove the fender to see it.

As mentioned, there should be a VIN (sometimes 2) on the apron(s), under the passenger side fender. You don't need to completely remove the fender, but you must remove all the bolts at the top, the bolt just above the door hinge, and more than likely the nut found under the passenger's side kick panel. You can then peal the top of the fender back enough to see it.

I've done it this way a couple of times with no problems.

The C6 on the intake is a 66' part which shouldn't be found on the 65' (unless the car was a very, very late 65', then it might just be possible.)

I have a 65 Dearborn fastback (5f) with a build date of April 7(warranty tag), that is numbered 589XXX. So, if they produced another 117,000 in your two month range, they could have made it to 700,000. That is provided Ford used the last six numbers inorder between all build plants and not groupings to each plant. (Remember, they started at 100001, so they just had to make 600,000 units by your car's build date.)

I have a 65 Dearborn fastback (5f) with a build date of April 7(warranty tag), that is numbered 589XXX. So, if they produced another 117,000 in your two month range, they could have made it to 700,000. That is provided Ford used the last six numbers in order between all build plants and not groupings to each plant. (Remember, they started at 100001, so they just had to make 600,000 units by your car's build date.)

They didn't distribute VIN #'s between the plants and other Fords, such as a Falcon, could be built on the assembly line. Any OR ALL of the plants could have built, for example a car with the last 6 #'s of the VIN being 200113 or any other #.

The last 6 #'s of a VIN is basically a running total of total units built at a particular plant and it includes all cars ran on that assembly line. For example, they may have made 151 Mustangs using 200101-200251 and then 111 Falcons on the same line and they would have been #'ed 200252-200363.

Of course the first part of the VIN tells you the year the car was built for, where the car was made, what body style it is, and what engine was installed so all this stuff still gives a unique VIN to every car produced, no matter where.

Example: 5F06CXXXXXX is from Dearborn and 5R06CXXXXXX is the California plant.