Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

• Sponsors (?)

Almost 4 years ago, I embarked on the first big trip that I had planned for the Monster. It was a different car back then.
A literal frankenstein engine, hodgepodged from multiple pieces, from various different manufacturers. At the time of the original big trip, the engine had pieces from Honda, BMW, Chevrolet, Ford USA, Ford Austalia, and just about every other aftermarket piece I could make work.

The engine leaked oil out the bottom, it had blow by, and oil control issues out of the top…I drove it there expecting the freakin thing to blow up and strand me w/o any warning. I drove the first leg with my hands clenched so tightly on the steering wheel worrying about the “ what-ifs” my knuckles were white. At Meridian, I had my Come to Jesus moment.

I said “ Fck it….If this thing is gonna break, it’s gonna break”. I finally breathed, let go of my grip on the wheel, turned up the LJK. And instead of listening to the drum of the engine worrying about some future explosion, enjoyed a nearly perfect 200 mile drive.

After that I was fine. The Monster made it there and back w/o incident ( minus a qt of oil), and I came back with the vision to take a fairly ambiguous themed Monster, and turn it into the car that it is today, embracing a “ What if Ford/Ford AU. made this car….What If They hadn’t been hobbled by the energy crisis, emmisions restrictions, a 55 mph national speed limit, and stupid crash safety standards that made every car look like it had an overbite…What if Mercury made a Cyclone all through the 70’s instead of letting the model die in 1971?

The car went down there looking like this:
DB52AB00-062A-46D4-889C-E9558BC70F96.jpeg

117636D3-CBA7-41AA-A7F6-376229F39ECE.jpeg

DC6400C2-652B-4062-A3F8-CF9196F1708B.jpeg

And will go back, looking like this:
D164B3D8-6BFE-4BC7-A506-54FA62018F82.jpeg

0C940802-47FC-4F1F-8C58-5158BF5F479F.jpeg

0005375C-62FF-4A90-8190-1B7C19108C94.jpeg

After 4 years, the “ new” version of the Monster has the obvious different outside cosmetic changes that embrace the “ is that factory?” theme.
A new Japanese Toyota engine, a new Japanese Nissan Transmission, Different gauges, Different seats, Different wheels, Different Japanese Toyota Prius electric steering, different gears/differential /axles, different rear suspension, and a different front suspension.

This time around though,…..and despite all of those changes, I trust the combination. I’ve been to two different long distance shows with this engine now,….it runs like a sewing machine. It is the one piece of this combo that Im not worried about…MOF,…..there’s nothing in the car I’m worried about.
My emergency kit will consist of stuff to fix a flat tire, a screw jack, a breaker bar with lug sockets, a portable inflator, a pair of pliers, a crescent wrench, a screwdriver, some wire ties, and a jump box, and my phone.

No spare ECU’s, dizzys, or tfi modules…Just Me an the road….And emergency “roadside” assistance just in case.

Last edited:
  • Winner
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 10 users
Almost 4 years ago, I embarked on the first big trip that I had planned for the Monster. It was a different car back then.
A literal frankenstein engine, hodgepodged from multiple pieces, from various different manufacturers. At the time of the original big trip, the engine had pieces from Honda, BMW, Chevrolet, Ford USA, Ford Austalia, and just about every other aftermarket piece I could make work.

The engine leaked oil out the bottom, it had blow by, and oil control issues out of the top…I drove it there expecting the freakin thing to blow up and strand me w/o any warning. I drove the first leg with my hands clenched so tightly on the steering wheel worrying about the “ what-ifs” my knuckles were white. At Meridian, I had my Come to Jesus moment.

I said “ Fck it….If this thing is gonna break, it’s gonna break”. I finally breathed, let go of my grip on the wheel, turned up the LJK. And instead of listening to the drum of the engine worrying about some future explosion, enjoyed a nearly perfect 200 mile drive.

After that I was fine. The Monster made it there and back w/o incident ( minus a qt of oil), and I came back with the vision to take a fairly ambiguous themed Monster, and turn it into the car that it is today, embracing a “ What if Ford/Ford AU. made this car….What If They hadn’t been hobbled by the energy crisis, emmisions restrictions, a 55 mph national speed limit, and stupid crash safety standards that made every car look like it had an overbite…What if Mercury made a Cyclone all through the 70’s instead of letting the model die in 1971?

The car went down there looking like this:
DB52AB00-062A-46D4-889C-E9558BC70F96.jpeg

117636D3-CBA7-41AA-A7F6-376229F39ECE.jpeg

DC6400C2-652B-4062-A3F8-CF9196F1708B.jpeg

And will go back, looking like this:
D164B3D8-6BFE-4BC7-A506-54FA62018F82.jpeg

0C940802-47FC-4F1F-8C58-5158BF5F479F.jpeg

0005375C-62FF-4A90-8190-1B7C19108C94.jpeg

After 4 years, the “ new” version of the Monster has the obvious different outside cosmetic changes that embrace the “ is that factory?” theme.
A new Japanese Toyota engine, a new Japanese Nissan Transmission, Different gauges, Different seats, Different wheels, Different Japanese Toyota Prius electric steering, different gears/differential /axles, different rear suspension, and a different front suspension.

This time around though,…..and despite all of those changes, I trust the combination. I’ve been to two different long distance shows with this engine now,….it runs like a sewing machine. It is the one piece of this combo that Im not worried about…MOF,…..there’s nothing in the car I’m worried about.
My emergency kit will consist of stuff to fix a flat tire, a screw jack, a breaker bar with lug sockets, a portable inflator, a pair of pliers, a crescent wrench, a screwdriver, some wire ties, and a jump box, and my phone.

No spare ECU’s, dizzys, or tfi modules…Just Me an the road….And emergency “roadside” assistance just in case.
Good luck on the trip!!
Will we get daily updates, or will we have to wait for the whole story when you get back?

Man, 4 years ago already we had the Mike and Dave show. Where does the time go? The car certainly has come a long way in the refinement category. Very clean and timeless now.
It’s been much more than that since Dave came and painted the car. He painted, (and I watched him paint in July of 2016. The paint on the Monster is actually almost 5.5 years old.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
One of the thoughts that goes through my head when people come up to me and talk about the car is:

Nobody knows what it is..,what’s to stop me from blowing a forest fire of smoke up their ass?

I’ve had some guys tell me I should fabricate the cars origins, and make it super exotic.
In other words, I should claim something like the car was a factory prototype of which only 2 were made, or that this is a product of Ford Australia, where the US version was an anemic econo-box, but the Australian version went on to end up with much much more power and way better styling, and the Monster is a living, breathing example of what you could buy in Sydney in 1978.

And while that might be entertaining for a minute,…..why would I give anybody else credit for what I’ve done?

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users
When the first old crotchety looking guy walks up wearing a ( insert brand ) racing shirt, and gazing under the hood, just jump up and close the hood. Tell that guy to mind his damn business and that he wouldn't know what he's lookin' at anyways. When he makes his snarky remarks just offer him a ride instead. You'll make his day at the show complete. Give him just one requirement.... he's got to record a video of it.

• Hell Yeah!
When the first old crotchety looking guy walks up wearing a ( insert brand ) racing shirt, and gazing under the hood, just jump up and close the hood. Tell that guy to mind his damn business and that he wouldn't know what he's lookin' at anyways. When he makes his snarky remarks just offer him a ride instead. You'll make his day at the show complete. Give him just one requirement.... he's got to record a video of it.

Only make sure it's not a guy, it's a girl.
In a bikini.
And the camera is pointing at her chesticles.

Those videos seem to be popular. :rlaugh:

• Surprised
There was a break in the rain, figured I’d fill it so that I can have that behind me.
0AC8D8A8-0E3F-44A9-B04B-B271CCF692EE.jpeg

B093A612-7140-40ED-8836-83967B21546D.jpeg

The Toyos work way better than the Nittos. There’s still a small amount of tire spin, but the tires were cold, and maybe there’s a little moisture still on the roads…But my traction issues are once again in control.

Reactions: 3 users
Ahhhhhh, just what I've been waiting for,
the obligatory petrol stop photo op.
Caption: Monster Feeding in the Wild!!! :nice:
Trust me, as clean as this car is currently, the notion that I might have to drive through some rain to get clear of it, and because of that will have to reclean that thing to get it where it is now has me trying to save as much time as possible in the morning so if there’s a break in the weather,…….I’m driving through it.

The rain chances increase as the day gets later.( like 89%) Then will lighten in the small hours of the morning to about 30%. If it wasn’t raining when I got home tonight I’d go to about Meridian MS 2 hours to the SW. Anything west of here is clear of this rain.

Mike, I think the chrome wheels are a much better choice! It almost makes me like the Futura body style! :shrug:

Although I am sure you're not happy with something and have big plans to make big changes, it's one helluva good looking car that seems to be reliable AF now.

Make sure you get lots of video and pictures from the trip! I

• Agree