Progress Thread 1985 Gt I Finally Have A T Top Car.

• Sponsors (?)

Do I bite the bullet and spend the $300 or keep looking?

I'd buy it.

Time is money IMHO. Cherry pick the best parts, get the rear in the car, and then sell off what you don't use. Can probably recoop ~$100 or so.

Plus I think 3.27's are a great cruising gear for a stock 5.0 that isn't going to be drag raced often. I wish I had 327's in my car.

Modifying the rear bracketry to pull the wheels in really is only needed if you are running 9" or wider rear wheels.

Since GroverDill has already committed to running a version of a Ford 17x8 wheel out back, it's not an issue to keep the SN95 width axles. In fact, the extra 0.75" out will help fill the wheel wells better. I have some old pics of 17x8's on my old 5-lug drum setup and the look was horrible. Rears were VERY sucked in. His decision to run the Sn95 axles in this case is the correct one.

EDIT: Had to dig waaay back for this one. 15-20 year old pic of my car with the '97 Cobra wheels and 5-lug drums out back. As you can see, those rear wheels are VERY sucked in.
Capture.JPG

Now, compare the above to the pic I posted here with 17x8's and the SN95 cobra rear disk setup.

img_1426-jpg.581673.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Modifying the rear bracketry to pull the wheels in really is only needed if you are running 9" or wider rear wheels.

Since GroverDill has already committed to running a version of a Ford 17x8 wheel out back, it's not an issue to keep the SN95 width axles. In fact, the extra 0.75" out will help fill the wheel wells better. I have some old pics of 17x8's on my old 5-lug drum setup and the look was horrible. Rears were VERY sucked in. His decision to run the Sn95 axles in this case is the correct one.

EDIT: Had to dig waaay back for this one. 15-20 year old pic of my car with the '97 Cobra wheels and 5-lug drums out back. As you can see, those rear wheels are VERY sucked in.
Capture.JPG

Now, compare the above to the pic I posted here with 17x8's and the SN95 cobra rear disk setup.

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...-want-but-i-had-to.897717/page-2#post-9049975
Aw yes very nice

I'd buy it.

Time is money IMHO. Cherry pick the best parts, get the rear in the car, and then sell off what you don't use. Can probably recoop ~$100 or so.

Plus I think 3.27's are a great cruising gear for a stock 5.0 that isn't going to be drag raced often. I wish I had 327's in my car.

Drive a stick shift 4-cylinder car for a while and then come back to the Mustang. I feel like the 3.73s in my Mustang are highway gears compared to the gearing in my Mazdaspeed6. That thing is horrible, you're in 6th gear by 45 mph.

Capture.JPG

img_1426-jpg.581673.jpg
Too mush tread on them, not enough burnouts, get busy! :burnout: