1991notch's Progress Thread (PICS)...

300RWHP on a Mustang dyno is good! That thing should put down 350 or more on a dyno jet then! Congrats dude! That thing sounds effin good. 300RWHP in a notchback is a lot. That little car is gonna fly.

How can you get it to hook?? What tires do you have now? My Cobra has 275-40R17 Nittos and it hooks up great in the summer. If you really want to hook go with M/T ET streets. Those will hook the car up like no other tire. The Nitto's will still spin when I dump the clutch a little higher than idle, but if I let it out perfectly, my car hooks and is gone! The M/T's on my friends 90 351W Mustang, hook really good. They really don't allow the car to get out of control in 2nd and 3rd anymore. They hook well, and we though they slowed the car down...lol....because we were used to getting very sideways in 2nd and even more in 3rd.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the compliments guys!! I'm really happy with the way the car turned out, even though I only had about three hours with it before the snow started to fall. Just my luck though...

How can you get it to hook?? What tires do you have now? My Cobra has 275-40R17 Nittos and it hooks up great in the summer. If you really want to hook go with M/T ET streets. Those will hook the car up like no other tire. The Nitto's will still spin when I dump the clutch a little higher than idle, but if I let it out perfectly, my car hooks and is gone! The M/T's on my friends 90 351W Mustang, hook really good. They really don't allow the car to get out of control in 2nd and 3rd anymore. They hook well, and we though they slowed the car down...lol....because we were used to getting very sideways in 2nd and even more in 3rd.

The car still has the tires the original owner put on it.. they're Aurora 255/40ZR17 and the car has 100% stock suspension. The car got completely sideways when I took off from a 2500 rpm roll in 2nd, and stayed sideways until 4th when i got out of it :rolleyes: Taking off from a complete stop is impossible haha. What suspension parts can I order to help the car plant the power?

Should I be worried about breaking something if I hook really well with some E/T streets? How strong are the stock axles, etc.? Thanks again guys!!

Chris

I made tons of 1/4 mile passes in my Cobra on stock axles shafts. When I put 31 splines in it was only because my stock diff burnt up. I figured upgrade while I'm at it. The stock axles were still in good shape and I sold them at work. Stock axles will hold with both style tires I mentioned. If you contiunuosly drop the clutch at 5,000 RPM's though, I'm sure they will go quickly with a slick....so if you don't do that, then don't worry about them.

Tires sprinning...well, if it snowed later that day, then it is obviously cold in your area, which NO tire hooks when it's cold. Aurora tires are off brand. Get those off the back and save them for the fronts. IF you have 17X9's go with a 275-40-R17 out back. That's the right size tire for a 9 inch wheel. Nitto's or E/T streets will be the tire to get in the summer.

Suspension. I wouldn't go crazy. My Cobra only has HPM Mega Bite Jr's LCA's. http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/iwwida.pvx?;item?item_no=HPM-5520-DZ 1&comp=LRS They have two bolt hole locations to mount the rear part of the control arm. The bottom hole offers 135% traction over stock and the top hole offers 85% traction increase over stock. I don't even have uppers, I don't have special struts or springs. They are pricey and there are off brand LCA's from 50 resto that will do the job too. They are much cheaper.

I had these on my black notch and they stopped ALL my wheel hop and the car hooked up well. I was also able to take off the quad shocks.
79-98 CONTROL ARM KIT, BOXED, REAR, UPPER & LOWER, BLACK MUSTANG

It's also worth looking into these as your stock bushings are probably rotted out.
79-04 REAR UPPER AXLE BUSHINGS, HARD COMPOUND, BLACK MUSTANG

You can get new rubber ones from Autozone or Murrays for less. I would just go with rubber, so the rear axle has some give. You don't want it too harsh.

Thanks a lot Matt, was your black notch stock ride height or was it lowered? I'm likely going to order an Eibach Pro Kit to lower the center of gravity of the car, and get some shocks and struts that will help weight transfer. I'll definitely order those upper and lowers you posted the link to on 50resto... they're not too expensive and it sounds like they work well.

I'm really lost when it comes to suspension on these cars, there are so many parts out there to choose from. There are guys hooking up with 4 grand into a coil over setup or MM grip box and there are guys who do just as well with shocks, springs and some control arms. I think I'll start a separate thread and get some opinions, but what you posted was a great start. Thanks!

Parts Update

winter sucks, it's been snowing like crazy here in NY and teh roads are WHITE and completely crusted over with salt, so needless to say the notch has been sitting, but here are a few pics of some parts i've been gathering for the spring :D

new 10th anniversary cobra wheels, black armrests, new mass back black carpet, MM strut tower brace, Steeda rear shock tower brace, Eibach pro kit lowering springs, and some random stuff like a new Redline Goods gray and black shift boot, and some green LEDs for my Autometer gauges that are WAY too dim, enjoy!

17x9 fronts
today007.jpg

today006.jpg

17x10 rears w/ polished lip
today001.jpg

today002.jpg

Eibach Pro Kit
today003.jpg

MM Strut Tower Brace
today004.jpg

Green LEDs :rolleyes:
today005.jpg

gonna be a whole new car come spring :D

Chris :nice:

Attachments

• today007.jpg
    today007.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 80
  • today006.jpg
    today006.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 99
  • today002.jpg
    today002.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 92
  • today001.jpg
    today001.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 90
  • today004.jpg
    today004.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 86
  • today003.jpg
    today003.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 80
  • today005.jpg
    today005.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 74
Hot!!

Man u are doing some great things to your notch I LOVE 04 COBRA SEATS if u don't mind me askin how much were they and they look like they fit great. Your car is looking DAM GOOD BRO BADASS :nice:

Thanks a lot Matt, was your black notch stock ride height or was it lowered? I'm likely going to order an Eibach Pro Kit to lower the center of gravity of the car, and get some shocks and struts that will help weight transfer. I'll definitely order those upper and lowers you posted the link to on 50resto... they're not too expensive and it sounds like they work well.

I'm really lost when it comes to suspension on these cars, there are so many parts out there to choose from. There are guys hooking up with 4 grand into a coil over setup or MM grip box and there are guys who do just as well with shocks, springs and some control arms. I think I'll start a separate thread and get some opinions, but what you posted was a great start. Thanks!

Chris..sorry I didn't reply to this. You've been waiting since December 7th!!:eek:
My black notch had the control arms I provided the link to and stock 4cyl springs. The front was lower than if it had V8 springs and the back was maybe a tad higher than a V8 notch since the front springs were dropp down so far. However, this was the best riding fox body I ever had. It did not handle nearly as good as Hack job with the Steeda Sport Springs, but it rode better. I gave you the link to those arms to save you some money. They work fine. I have the $289 Mega Bite Jr's on my Cobra and had them on Hack Job and the economy kit on my black car did the same job.

You are doing just fine with the suspension. What kind of struts and shocks did you wanna go with again? Did you mention Strange stuff in the past? IF so, that is a good kit and it won't break the bank. Tokicko's are nice too. I have the 2004 Mach 1 factory sturts (which are stock from Ford) on my 96 Cobra and I love them. The car rides and handles nice. I have no experience with the adjustable Tokicko's but they did come in on that 97 Cobra I bought for parts. The adjustment is in the middle of the strut bolt under the hood and they do work. 1-2-3-4-5 are the adjustments....(Strange are 10-way)....and you could tell the difference in the rebound when you change them. These are good for drag racing and handling.

winter sucks, it's been snowing like crazy here in NY and teh roads are WHITE and completely crusted over with salt, so needless to say the notch has been sitting, but here are a few pics of some parts i've been gathering for the spring :D

new 10th anniversary cobra wheels, black armrests, new mass back black carpet, MM strut tower brace, Steeda rear shock tower brace, Eibach pro kit lowering springs, and some random stuff like a new Redline Goods gray and black shift boot, and some green LEDs for my Autometer gauges that are WAY too dim, enjoy!

17x9 fronts
today007.jpg

17x10 rears w/ polished lip
today001.jpg

gonna be a whole new car come spring :D
Chris :nice:

Yes it IS gonna be a different car. You did interior, motor work, suspension work and cosmetic work!! HOW CAR YOU BEAT THAT!!!???? :nice::nice:

Nice job man, I can't wait to see some pics when complete. You better give us an exterior video and an "in-car" video action! :hail2:

Attachments

• today007.jpg
    today007.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 63
  • today001.jpg
    today001.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 79
Man u are doing some great things to your notch I LOVE 04 COBRA SEATS if u don't mind me askin how much were they and they look like they fit great. Your car is looking DAM GOOD BRO BADASS :nice:

thanks a lot man! i paid $500 total for all of the seats out of a wrecked '04, it hurt to see a car that nice totalled, and it felt wrong tearing the interior out haha, the thing was clean as hell but some drunk smashed it in the back at a stop light :mad:

looks awesome,get those damn rims mounted on and take some pics stat:D

thanks! as soon as some nice weather comes around the rears are getting some drag radials mounted on them :nice:

Chris..sorry I didn't reply to this. You've been waiting since December 7th!!:eek:
My black notch had the control arms I provided the link to and stock 4cyl springs. The front was lower than if it had V8 springs and the back was maybe a tad higher than a V8 notch since the front springs were dropp down so far. However, this was the best riding fox body I ever had. It did not handle nearly as good as Hack job with the Steeda Sport Springs, but it rode better. I gave you the link to those arms to save you some money. They work fine. I have the $289 Mega Bite Jr's on my Cobra and had them on Hack Job and the economy kit on my black car did the same job.

You are doing just fine with the suspension. What kind of struts and shocks did you wanna go with again? Did you mention Strange stuff in the past? IF so, that is a good kit and it won't break the bank. Tokicko's are nice too. I have the 2004 Mach 1 factory sturts (which are stock from Ford) on my 96 Cobra and I love them. The car rides and handles nice. I have no experience with the adjustable Tokicko's but they did come in on that 97 Cobra I bought for parts. The adjustment is in the middle of the strut bolt under the hood and they do work. 1-2-3-4-5 are the adjustments....(Strange are 10-way)....and you could tell the difference in the rebound when you change them. These are good for drag racing and handling.

Yes it IS gonna be a different car. You did interior, motor work, suspension work and cosmetic work!! HOW CAR YOU BEAT THAT!!!???? :nice::nice:

Nice job man, I can't wait to see some pics when complete. You better give us an exterior video and an "in-car" video action! :hail2:

haha don't worry about the late response Matt, it's winter time anyway all these parts are just sitting in boxes until spring :nonono: but yeah i'm torn between the tokico blues and the strange 10 ways, i guess i have some time to make my decision

i will definitely post vids of the car with wheels mounted and the new stance, i'm hoping for at least a FOTM nomination :rlaugh:

Car looks great! How do you like your H.O. Fibertrend hood? I need to buy a hood before spring when the car gets painted. Do you have a side shot of the H.O. hood? Thanks.

i actually don't have a side shot of the hood, do a search for a member named ike34, he has the exact same hood as i do, painted and mounted (on a sick car too), mine looks to be in awesome shape though and i don't think it will need a ton of hours of prep for it to look nice

Great looking Notch

thanks man!

also... rear shock tower brace came in the mail today from Steeda, i don't know if it even does anything for handling/chassis stiffening, but i wanted it anyway :D

today.jpg

stay tuned! :nice:

Chris

Attachments

• today.jpg
    today.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 73
hey chris, cars lookin real great. my girl used to have a notch that we unfortunately had to sell... hopefully her seeing this thread will spark her to get another soon... im usually in the 94/95 section, but have been watching ur progress from some time... i cant wait to see the car with the 10th anni DDs...

lookin good!

*subscribed

[QUOTE/
also... rear shock tower brace came in the mail today from Steeda, i don't know if it even does anything for handling/chassis stiffening, but i wanted it anyway :D

today.jpg

stay tuned! :nice:

Chris[/QUOTE]

it does but not like a panhard bar does, im not sure how much of a difference your gonna see

Attachments

• today.jpg
    today.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 65
I wanted to get a rear shock tower brace, but I was alway sceptical.

Anyways, it depends what you want to do for the struts. The blues I think are non adjustable they are just a nice all around strut. The Stranges have the 10 positions. 10 is overkill IMO but I think these struts are about the same price either way. The blues are $99.99 each, and I though Strange was the same at 50 resto.

well, it was over 40 degrees here today, i was outside working on my car in a tee shirt, it was awesome :D i forgot how much i missed having bleeding knuckles with dirt and metal shavings and road grime ground into my cuts...

i got the Maximum Motorsports strut tower brace installed today, it was a PITA but not too bad or time consuming overall, they neglected to mention in the instructions a few key things about the installation, like removing/relocating the vacuum tree and fender solenoid, moving brake lines and the wiring harness, etc. but all in all it took about an hour and a half from start to finish, and it actually cleared my CAI perfectly, against what basically everyone i talked to about it had told me :rlaugh: it made a big difference in the way the car handles too, by the way

here are a few pics, the engine bay is REALLY dirty, and so is the entire car, so DONT JUDGE haha... i wanted to wash it today but my hose is still frozen :mad:

today001-1.jpg

today002-1.jpg

and here's a shot of the whole FILTHY car, but this is probably the last time it will look like this... hood, shocks/struts, eibach pro kit, and new wheels are next :nice:
today003-1.jpg

Attachments

• today003-1.jpg
    today003-1.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 87
  • today002-1.jpg
    today002-1.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 69
  • today001-1.jpg
    today001-1.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 82