2005 Camaro?

Maybe, but it it might have saved it for one model year, maybe two.

All the advertizing in th world doesn't change the fact that the car was very expensive for GM to produce and the profit margins just weren't there. If they could have charged $35k for it, it might still be around. The lack of trunk and interior space was a big issue as well. This might sound trivial to the performance crowd but it applies there too. M3 owners will tell you that when they go to the track, their car will easily swallow 4 track tires, a floor jack and a reasonable amount of tools/parts.

For all it's faults, it was a great performer though. As a mustang fan, I was actually really disappointed when I heard GM would stop building it. Hopefully they can bring it back (and do it right).

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't mind seeing the camaro come back. But how would they style it. I mean there is no longer the geo storm to copy from. And we know the body style has to last for 10 years minimum. Bob Lutz apparently doesn't like retro. That doesn't leave a whole lot of room.

Lutz did a good job at chrysler and BMW before joining GMC. I have faith that if they do it under his leadership, they'll do a good job. Regardless of what it looks like, It will be a stellar performer. If that means Ford has to respond with more power, better brakes/ suspension for the mustang, I find that better than acceptable.

SadbutTrue said:
Now don't get too carried away, Ford didn't market the Mustang that hard either, they would just throw pics of 6 cylinder Mustangs into their "0% APR!!!" and such commercials since 9/11. It might have made some difference, but don't overstate it. The FBody might still be around, but it would still be getting outsold by the Mustang by quite a bit. The thing is the Mustang and Camaro had been around so long that people that were thinking about a Camaro would have thought about it with or without a commercial telling them to.

Any info on this "Zeta RWD" platform? Is it cheap because it sucks or because GM will be sharing it among many vehicles? From data I've seen the underpinnings of the 05 stang are truly amazing, it will take a lot to compete with it.

Shatner - there is a GTO specific commercial out, if GM had done a bit of that with the Fbody it might have helped them a little.

Zeta = http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=220620

GM already has a RWD chassis called Sigma, but it is only used by the new RWD Cadillacs. It is too expensive to put the Camaro on, just like the Lincoln LS was too expensive for the Mustang.

Zeta (also called Sigma-lite or VE) will be the lower cost Global RWD platform that can handle a V8. It will be used by Chevrolet, Holden, Opel, Pontiac, and Buick. This platform will be moduler allowing for cars with different wheel bases as well as optional AWD.

Kappa platform (Pontiac Solstice) is low cost and RWD but can't handle a V8.

Y-body = C6 Vette and XLR, way to expensive for a Camaro.