2005 wheel question, unsure about fitment

miloman

Apr 14, 2007
I'm ready to buy some wheels now. From the info I've gathered, the offset on the stock 2005 GT 17" wheels is 45mm. The wheels I've been looking at are the Steeda Pentars 18x9.5 (first pic), which have an offset of 45mm. Problem is they weight 29 lbs each, that's a little much IMO. The only similar wheel I've found are the TSW Indy 500 18x9.5 (second pic). I also like the TSW Montage 18x9.5 (third pic). TSW does not list the Indy 500 wheel in their application guide for our cars, they also don't list any offsets for them. I'm leaning towards 18x9.5 wheels with 275/40/18 tires in all 4 corners (so I can rotate regularly), just not sure what offset I need to get. Will the Indy 500 40mm offset fit? I want the tires to sit flush (or close) with the fender, and do not want them sticking out past the fender. Any help appreciated.

Edit: Having problem uploading picture of Montage wheel.

Attachments

• pentar_chrome_18_500.jpg
    pentar_chrome_18_500.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 135
  • indy500_chrome_reg_pop_white.jpg
    indy500_chrome_reg_pop_white.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 161
  • Sponsors (?)

depends on your width for the best offset....

The OEM wheels are different offset as well. The Bullits are 45mm while the fanblades are 50mm. My rear wheel is 18x10 with 45mm offset(which sit just inside the fender lip)while my fronts are 18x8.5 with 32mm offset and sit farily close too.

I'm leaning towards 18x9.5 wheels with 275/40/18 tires in all 4 corners (so I can rotate regularly), just not sure what offset I need to get. I want the tires to sit flush (or close) with the fender, and do not want them sticking out past the fender. Any help appreciated.

The Roush 427R Trak Pak runs the 275/40-18 on all 4 corners and sit about where you want them. I can't find what the offset is on those, but they are 18x10.
trak.pak4.500.jpg

The Roush 427R Trak Pak runs the 275/40-18 on all 4 corners and sit about where you want them. I can't find what the offset is on those, but they are 18x10.
trak.pak4.500.jpg

I was thinking of trying to stuff a 275/40/17 on my stock 17" Bullitt wheels. The guy at the tire store said I should be able to fit that on the stock wheel, which is only 8" wide.

What do you think is the widest tire you can wedge on the stock 17x8 wheel?

I kinda like a beefier sidewall..so if it sticks out a little, from the wheel...I'm cool with that. Old school, baby!

i know many people have put 275s in an 8 inch rim, but the recommended minimum wheel width for a 275 is 9". about a 255 is considered the limit for an 8inch wheel.

i know many old school mopar guys that run 275s on their stock 7inch rims! :eek: it can be done, but the tire company would not recommend it. also, a 275/40/17 is shorter than stock, and will look funny on an S197.

trak.pak4.500.jpg

I did look at the Roush wheels before and I do like them. I also like the Saleen 20's (but I don't want 20's). THese wheels are just too expensive for me. Roush's website lists the black 18x10 at over $500 each and the chrome at over $700 each.

I think Roush staggers them as well. 285 out back, 255 front

Kooldawg....

What did you use to lower your car? I think the tire/wheel package you have is pretty sweet! I don't want to stagger my wheels, as cool as it is..because I want to rotate them. Plus, in a "competition environment," narrower front wheels will provide more understeer, and that sucks.

Thanks for the replies!

Kooldawg....

What did you use to lower your car? I think the tire/wheel package you have is pretty sweet! I don't want to stagger my wheels, as cool as it is..because I want to rotate them. Plus, in a "competition environment," narrower front wheels will provide more understeer, and that sucks.

Thanks for the replies!

I used StangSuspension.com brand springs. Been on there for about a month(just over 1K miles)and I dont have a single complaint:nice:
http://www.stangsuspension.com/store/comersus_viewitem.asp?idproduct=1362