2nd Generation Mod Motors!

NastE50

Founding Member
May 21, 2002
IL
You guys ever wonder what is due after this retro body style of the 2005 Mustang? What are they going to go to then. I think it would be in their best interest to base the next one off of the 1987-93 Fox Body GT. A newer version of that bodystyle would absolutely ROCK. (I obviously have a biased opinion because I own one but I seem to remember a poll a year ago on here showing that to be the all-time favorite Mustang bodystyle.) Then Ford can do away with their small bore HUGE stroke current line of mod motors. Lets face it, the 3.5" bore is rediculously small, even for a 4.6. Now figure in that they use it for the 5.4 and you get my idea! It's a TINY piston with no room to unshroud the valves! LOOK how tall and wide the mod motors are! I think that it was smart of Ford to use the mod motors from Lincoln originally for cost reasons but Ford should really cut the chains when they release the "2nd GEN mod motors". If Chevy can come out with the LS2 and increase their engines by 20 cubic inches, why can't the 281 become a 302 and the 330 (5.4) become the 351 again? I believe that in the next Mustang, a 4 inch bore, 3 inch stroke TRUE 302 mod motor belongs in it. Restart the whole 5.0 craze all over again! Lets face it, if that engine was based off the original dimensions internally, they would have a smaller engine package due to reduced deck height. You might actually leave some room under the hood to "SEE" those headers that you just broke your back installing. After these two shortblocks become available, they can mix and match blower combos, SOHC, DOHC, 3 valve, 4 valve. I think that this is an outstanding idea that I have been thinking about for while. How bout that, a 5.0 SOHC GT making roughly 335 HP, 5.0 DOHC (Mach 1 or BOSS 302) making 365 hp, S/C 5.0 DOHC Cobra making 440 hp, S/C 5.8 351 DOHC Cobra R making 520 HP. This is what I hope for in the NEW Mustangs (POST 2005 body style)

Does this make sense to anyone besides me?

• Sponsors (?)

They don't have to change the motor at all. Ford already has a 5.0 developed from the current 4.6 block and it so far from what I have read has proven to be reliable and has HUGE potential. You won't see any changes in the motors outer physical dimensions for years to come. Developing a new powertrain package takes years of work and massive amounts of money. You will see new bore sizes and different strokes developed out of the existing packages.