Progress Thread 331 Turbo Project - at shop for Paint & Interior

Well, it comes down to being able to drive it. Right now, I can't - I'm still stationed at Fort Drum, NY. I'm moving to Fort Benning, GA in March at which point, in the warmer weather I'll be able to drive it again. I plan to finish it before then.

Chris

• Sponsors (?)

Well, the stang fired up today. Michael broke the motor in without the turbo. Primarily, this is to ensure that there is no possibility that metal shavings make it into the turbo oil feed or into the turbo's bearing etc. It's probably an unnecessary step, but the turbo is on the expensive side and is a true ball-bearing setup, and I didn't want to take any chances. For the break-in my BS3 system and 120 lbs injectors were set aside and my old A9L ECU with 24 lb injectors went on.

On the preliminary run with no tuning, the car made 362 rwhp at 6100 rpm SAE on one of dynojet's relatively new loading dynos.

For an n/a 8.5:1 compression 331 cube Windsor with a turbo cam, pushing air through a turbo kit sans turbo, I'd say that ain't too bad. Dyno numbers don't mean a damn thing, but I was still kinda hoping to see 350 or better, and that would have been with a tune. My goal is 700rwhp on pump gas, and I believe that's well within reach.

After an oil change, the turbo kit will be finished, 120lb injectors and the BS3 installed before it goes for round 2 on the dyno.

Chris

I don't plan on running more than 15 psi on pump gas, Nik. I don't want to count my chickens, but after the break-in dyno I think that with tuning and that much boost, 700 is a done deal, now. With race gas, I take it to whatever maxes out the turbo.

Chris

I am half-tempted. I'm just more tempted not to come close to damaging the motor I've invested many thousands in.

What I'm more tempted to do is get a bigger fuel pump and injectors and run E85 when becomes more wide-spread. Then I could get a hell of a lot more power out of pump.

Chris

Here's the dyno:

Attachments

• Engine break-in.jpg
    Engine break-in.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 4,978
The car made 762 rwhp at 14 psi on 93 octane. My goal was for it to make 700 rwhp by 15 psi. According to the guys at the dyno, it made 700 by 12.5 psi. Also, the car was built to rev to 7000 rpm. On the dyno, it apparently only saw 6300 rpm.

The graphs should be emailed to me some time tonight, and I'll be sure to post them by tomorrow if I'm not still up when they are emailed.

It apparently was over 500 rwhp at baseline with the turbo at around 8 psi. I had the guys at Dayton Performance back it down to 10 psi, which will hopefully keep the power down to around 600 as I mentioned earlier.

Chris

No plans on running it yet, bentley. I still need to work out some minor gremlins. Also, with a TKO, and 28 spline axles in the rear, and no slicks, I'm not ready to put it down the track. I'm doing my best to invest in the stock market. So, the other stuff will wait for a while.

Laser, the turbo is rated at 1200 hp (crank), and I've seen similar combinations make over 1000 rwhp (Wolverine), and I've seen this turbo run 8.79@154+ in the 1/4 through a TH400 tranny - both combos were 331 strokers like mine. Wolverine said he made that power at 30 psi, but that honestly seems too high given the back-pressure I'm seeing and he had a smaller turbine housing on his car.

I still might need to move to a bigger a/r turbine housing in the future, but based on what I've been told, I really want to see it spool up sooner. I'm probably going to ditch the greddy boost controller in favor of the more user-friendly and more precise AMS-1000. Maybe I'm a little biased, but from what I've read, I don't like the way the greddy controls the wastegate, and I think I'd see a quicker spool up with the AMS.

I'm getting ahead of myself, though. For the next couple of weeks, I plan on just breaking everything in and enjoying it. Hopefully, I can keep it out of a guardrail.

Chris

Pretty sick setup, i had planned on using that same turbo on my car until i found out the CR was 10.75:1. Enjoy it :flag:

What cam are you using? solid or hydraulic? was the intake ported at all?

I took it for a ride today... I've never driven anything faster than my last twin-turbo setup, which made 420rwhp. The first run, I couldn't keep the thing pointed straight in any gear (I didn't try in 5th).

Engine temps were good, but it's running more boost than I want to on the street. The boost controller read a peak of 16.9 psi. Apparently, the Boost Controller is reading higher than the BS3, and apparently I should believe the BS3's reading more so than the controller's because it is in the manifold. I'm not sure where the EBC's pressure sensor is.

I found that it seemed to stick better going uphill. So, I found a relatively steep uphill that was relatively long, and let her eat! The tires hooked! Now, when I'm driving hard alone, though I always enjoy the experience, I never really smile or anything. After I managed to survive the experience, I broke out in laughter and said, "holy ****!" out loud. The car is genuinely scary. Forget racing it any time soon, though. I've got some work to do to get it to stick, and some things to work out. I ordered a new set of Mickey T drag radials, tonight. I also have an oil leak from the rear of the engine, and I'm really hoping that it's just a rear-main seal so I don't have to take apart the top half of the motor or anything. It's leaking too fast for my satisfaction, but it's not pouring or anything.

Here's the dyno.

Attachments

• turbo tuned dyno (small).jpg
    turbo tuned dyno (small).jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 5,106
Pretty sick setup, i had planned on using that same turbo on my car until i found out the CR was 10.75:1. Enjoy it :flag:

What cam are you using? solid or hydraulic? was the intake ported at all?

It's an Ed Curtis custom hydro cam, and the intake was not ported. I honestly don't think they even did any port matching between the AFR205s and the TFS-R lower.

Chris

hehe, don't feel bad man. It took me about 3 weeks to blow up my stock T5 after I went to a 320 rwhp n/a h/c/i 302 combo. I just powershifted a few times and it went "clankety clank" like a tank after that.

Chris

Listen to u turbo guys u make me wanna :puke: he he nah im jealous:D actually i like hearing what the top of the foxbody foodchain is doin snackin on imports and havin 03 cobras for lunch, good luck GroverDill ive been waiting to hear what dat monsta is gonna put down, not quite da monsta but should be plenty respectable my 333 stroker im pickin up after a Florida trip that ends at the gaternationals, i'll take some nice pics there to post. life is good pinch me :D

PS not rubbin this crap in, im worried everyday for me and my wifes job with this economy :eek: