347 + vert = stress crackes

twolo4u2c2

5 Year Member
Apr 10, 2003
reading, PA
I recently found some stress cracks on the drivers side floor pan around the seat mounting and rear section of pan.. I'm going to fix them and than add the maximum motorsports full length subframes with the seat supports(the new ones). Has anyone used these before or herd about these?

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Those weren't caused by the 347. Some cars have this happen with totally stock cars. Ford used thin (ie cheap) sheet metel to make the floors for the cars and over time and use they weaken till they start to tear.

The chassis/unibody is notoriously flexible - ESPECIALLY when you cut the roof off (verts and to a slightly lesser extent T-top cars). Anything you can do to fortify it in bending and torsional strength will help it handle better and will reduce squeaks and rattles; will also reduce the dreaded vert cowl shake. The sfc will help; and well engineered (and welded) roll cage will help even more....

I have the Griggs full lengths and boy do they work! All the [different brand] subframes do the same thing so I don't think that there is a substantial difference between them except that some have better provisions for the seat supports. The full lengths are much better than the standard ones. Also, be sure to weld, not bolt, them in.

QDRHRSE said:
I have the Griggs full lengths and boy do they work! All the [different brand] subframes do the same thing so I don't think that there is a substantial difference between them except that some have better provisions for the seat supports. The full lengths are much better than the standard ones. Also, be sure to weld, not bolt, them in.
:stupid:

The floors are so weak on these cars subframe connectors are almost a must. I put mine in recently and when i get the chance my grandfada and I are going to weld them on. I noticed substantially less flex but the reason i did it was to protect my baby.

Michael Yount said:
Anything you can do to fortify it in bending and torsional strength will help it handle better and will reduce squeaks and rattles; will also reduce the dreaded vert cowl shake.

Tell me about it. :rolleyes: My convertible bends, twists and shakes more than an exotic dancer. It's particularly bad when the top is down. Top down = cowl shake.

I've had some MM full-length subs sitting in the garage for awhile now.

Does anyone know of what to look out for when welding them? I could have sworn I heard something about burning through, or somethng being too thin and not to weld there? Anyone know of what i'm talking about?

Basically any pointers before/during welding them in.........

tjm - yeah - if you want to see something entertaining, take a stock vert with the top down, and drive one front wheel up on a curb. Now, take a look all around the at the panel gaps. Better yet, watch what happens when you try and open and close the doors - especially the one on the side that's up on the curb. Flexible-flyers.....