351C Engine Swap

Wow.
What kind of pistons? Do they have any special design? And what fuel are you running? I've always understood that the 2v heads are prone to detonation because there is no quench area. I've had thoughts about a custom dome piston that would create a quench effect but I don't know what that would do to compression. With 13.7:1 though I wonder if you have something like that type of piston in there.

That motor had flat top J&E's (rules don't permit domes) and yes, detonation had been an issue with 110 octane turbo blue, but it has shown no problems whatsoever with 114. Klotz swears they make a fuel that will not detonate and is the same price as 110, we are gonna try it on the dyno and see what happens. We're hoping mahle will make a custom piston with gas porting, and a better ring package than what we have available in a shelf piston right now. There's a lot of power left to be found in this motor in my honest opinion. After this one we're gonna do a windsor and see how far we can take that under the same rules...

• Sponsors (?)

That motor had flat top J&E's (rules don't permit domes) and yes, detonation had been an issue with 110 octane turbo blue, but it has shown no problems whatsoever with 114. Klotz swears they make a fuel that will not detonate and is the same price as 110, we are gonna try it on the dyno and see what happens. We're hoping mahle will make a custom piston with gas porting, and a better ring package than what we have available in a shelf piston right now. There's a lot of power left to be found in this motor in my honest opinion. After this one we're gonna do a windsor and see how far we can take that under the same rules...

Yeah, I'm looking to build something for the street without going overboard on price, but it's between a rock and hard place due to the detonation issues of 2v heads, and the driveability/cost of a 4v. I could get an aussie head, but that's even more $$$.
I probably just need to wait to stumble on a good deal for some aussie heads, or perhaps a good price on the 4v and using resin in the ports.

Then ofcourse there's the issue of fitting an EFI windsor lower to a pair of cleveland heads.

I could save myself the headache, but I'm a glutton for the rareness of the clevor :nice:

See http://www.pricemotorsport.com/ I think they have adapters to mate cleveland heads to windsor manifolds. That would make you EFI cleveland possible.

Yeah man, I knew someone made them, good looking out, I needed that link again.

The other thing I need to figure out are what pistons I'm going to use, and pushrod length.

Last year sometime I gathered an instane amount of numbers on things and I was able to calculate all the sizes I needed for everything except for pushrod length.

I know the guy that has that motor now also has some aussie heads, and they're not of much use to him anymore (sanctioning body banned them). I can see how many sets he has and if he would want to get rid of them...

Yeah man, I knew someone made them, good looking out, I needed that link again.

The other thing I need to figure out are what pistons I'm going to use, and pushrod length.

Last year sometime I gathered an instane amount of numbers on things and I was able to calculate all the sizes I needed for everything except for pushrod length.

Do all of us a big favor: write a tech note on how to do the swap complete with part numbers, item names, and part sources. Then we can prevail on Daggar to add it to the Useful Tech Thread index. This would be really cool if there is a way to do it on a budget of less than $800 for heads and all the parts. You would have many of us scurrying off to the junkyards looking for parts. :D

Do all of us a big favor: write a tech note on how to do the swap complete with part numbers, item names, and part sources. Then we can prevail on Daggar to add it to the Useful Tech Thread index. This would be really cool if there is a way to do it on a budget of less than $800 for heads and all the parts. You would have many of us scurrying off to the junkyards looking for parts. :D

Haha, ya'll rekindled the fire in my wallet to do this again. If I can swing it I'll document everything :nice:

I think the clevor would be really awesome. I saw an article on the web and they had someone build a 393 4v cleavor with ported heads, and it turned something like 750 horse at 7000 rpm. Too bad i cant find the article. If used on a stock block it wouldnt last very long....but it would be really fun while it held together.

I have always dreamed of a cleavor in a pinto.....

I think the clevor would be really awesome. I saw an article on the web and they had someone build a 393 4v cleavor with ported heads, and it turned something like 750 horse at 7000 rpm. Too bad i cant find the article. If used on a stock block it wouldnt last very long....but it would be really fun while it held together.

I have always dreamed of a cleavor in a pinto.....

That's almost exactly what I have in mind.
And a pair of junkyard hairdriers....

:)

I know the guy that has that motor now also has some aussie heads, and they're not of much use to him anymore (sanctioning body banned them). I can see how many sets he has and if he would want to get rid of them...

Can you please? Im wanting a set for street buildup Im working on. This would be GREAT!

ALso about how much does a 351C weigh vs a 302?