351W thumper cam thoughts?

crazyb003

Apr 13, 2006
Hey, this is my first post so tell me what you think.

I've got a 351W, bored .040, KB 379 pistons(9.8:1), Fully rebuilt D0oe heads, edelbrock performer intake and edelbrock 600 cfm carb.

Now my question is what do you think of a thumper series cam?
I don't know anyone running one and I havn't heard of anyone with one but I am interested in there performance. I'm kinda looking for power in the top end because I've got a 9" with 4.11's and a detroit locker. All I can find is stuff on sbc crap. I'm pretty young and am still trying to learn as much as I can about building engines. Anyone with thoughts?

Oh, and it's going in a 67 fastback with a tremec t5.

• Sponsors (?)

Before you spend another penny, start reading up over on

s b f t e c h dot com. (No spaces) read thru that stuff, read again, and then ask a question. They live for saving tenths of a second, and building faster better Ford motors. Period.

Hey, this is my first post so tell me what you think.

I've got a 351W, bored .040, KB 379 pistons(9.8:1), Fully rebuilt D0oe heads, edelbrock performer intake and edelbrock 600 cfm carb.

Now my question is what do you think of a thumper series cam?
I don't know anyone running one and I havn't heard of anyone with one but I am interested in there performance. I'm kinda looking for power in the top end because I've got a 9" with 4.11's and a detroit locker. All I can find is stuff on sbc crap. I'm pretty young and am still trying to learn as much as I can about building engines. Anyone with thoughts?

Oh, and it's going in a 67 fastback with a tremec t5.

Did they end up releasing those for SBFs? They only had them for SBCs when I looked (unless my research was flawed).

They sound cool. Probably won't be as streetable as an XE or other cam but thats not really what they're for.

Basically... if you're trying to make the car absolutely as fast as possible, I'd bet there are better cams. If you're willing to lose a few tenths and some drivability and get a badass sounding cam, I think they're for you.

Of course, I'm just guessing on the performance losses (though I think its a logical guess, based on what it was designed for as opposed to what the Xtreme Energy cams were designed for).

also, I wouldn't totally discount any advice that woudl be given to you based on SBCs. I would bet the VAST majority of actual experience on these cams is with SBCs, and if people can tell you "I had cam A, with these specs, and made this much power... and went to Thumper cam with these specs and made this much power and had this effect on drivability..."... I would think that would be very useful advice for you.

I read alot about these, there are at least 3 grinds for the 351 and most SBC guys are gaining power over previous aftermarket cams. I think it is a win/win situation. They are marketed as having no to little affect on drivability. I would run one.

I've got the big mutha thumper going in now. My machinest says it's gonna work great and even he's excited about what its gonna sound like. I'm not taking the car drag racing at all, so if I lose power I'm not too concerned. With the 5 speed and 4:11's I could have tons of fun around town if it were powered by a 200 inline six.

A T5 behind a 351w ? Yer going to blow that thing up man. Be prepaired. If you drive it easy you can get some decent life out of it but if you are bangin gears all day with that trans, its going to go quick.