4.10 gears are too steep for a Mustang GT!

01mgvert said:
Can't you run higher rpms with aftermarket cams? Wouldn't this minimize the increased rpms of 4.10 gears?

While valve springs that aren't up to the task can limit RPM potential, the major issue with revving a stock GT engine is the rotating assembly (crank, rods, pistons). The oil pump isn't exactly going to thank you for 7000RPMs either.

• Sponsors (?)

65-70 is around 2500rpms i think 70 might be 2600. I dont remember just got them put in last night. Was dissapointed at first but it was because i was expecting to the pull but had my gf drive it and wow you feel the difference and you can tell when your driving to exspecially in 5th. I love my gears 4.10s all the way

Sounds like he's stuck on the 5.0 era, 4.6s have cams not "cam" and the engines are built to rev. They aren't like the old 302s where the max torque is down low. Cams/LT headers are a hell of a lot more involved then gears. Either he has the 4.6 and 5.0 confused or he just was trying to get more business outta ya.

85GTlover said:
I do not think so I am no mechanic but the rpm thing I don't think is really true....

Thank goodness you aren't a mechanic, because this is incorrect.

Think about it- with a 4.10 final drive ratio, the engine will have to be spinning almost 20% faster to achieve the same speed as 3.27s. So, unless you slow yourself down to a rev-limited speed [IE- no crusing above 2300 RPm regardless of your mph] you will be putting roughly 20% more strain on your engine at all times. This is why I refuse to do a gearswap. Alot of people don't realize just how much more strain is put on the engine.

Also, the stress created as the RPM's rise isnt on a linear scale- its exponential. Meaning, going from 2000 RPM to 3000 creates FOUR TIMES the stress on your engine. Do you really want to submit your mill to that? I don't. I plan on keeping my car for a long, long time.

Gears = teh fun, but also
Gears = bad for longevity

I'd rather beat the hell out of my car for a couple years than tiptoe around playing the "what if" game for a decade.

How many people have worn their engines out from gears? :rolleyes: If something breaks, oh well. That means you can replace it with something better. :nice:

Sounds like somebody has a bad case of the gear fear.

BTW - Bill Putnam (Mustang92) revs his stock bottom end GT to 6500RPMs, runs low 12's (has hit 11's even), has 4.30 gears, and daily drives it on top of that with over 100,000 miles. In my opinion, your durability concerns are :bs:

Snarf said:
Thank goodness you aren't a mechanic, because this is incorrect.

Think about it- with a 4.10 final drive ratio, the engine will have to be spinning almost 20% faster to achieve the same speed as 3.27s. So, unless you slow yourself down to a rev-limited speed [IE- no crusing above 2300 RPm regardless of your mph] you will be putting roughly 20% more strain on your engine at all times. This is why I refuse to do a gearswap. Alot of people don't realize just how much more strain is put on the engine.

Also, the stress created as the RPM's rise isnt on a linear scale- its exponential. Meaning, going from 2000 RPM to 3000 creates FOUR TIMES the stress on your engine. Do you really want to submit your mill to that? I don't. I plan on keeping my car for a long, long time.

Gears = teh fun, but also
Gears = bad for longevity

My GT with 4.10s pushes 3 grand at 80. I do this on the Interstate 140 miles RT to work and have had the gears for 40k miles now. My 92 Probe with a 4 cylinder is at 3 grand at 80 and I do this 140 miles RT to work. It has 145K miles and is still going strong. Now correct me if I'm wrong but will a 4 cylinder engine handle revs better than an 8? I don't think so. Your fears are unfounded but if someone can dispute my analogy please do so.

You guys are missing my point..

I'm NOT saying that putting 4.10s in your car will make it die at 80K, but some of you guys seem to think so.

What I AM saying is that running at higher RPMs for extended periods of time is alot harder on your engine than running at a low burble. Argue this all you want but its a known mechanical truth. I can post the mathematical formulae behind it as well.

Anyone that doesnt think putting more strain on thier engine will cause more wear and eventually, premature failure, is a chump. Now, with the strength of the 4.6, it may take 150K miles to reach that fail point anyhow, but you WILL reach it before I do.

I bought my Mustang to rag it, not to tip toe around town so regardless of what gears are in it, it'll be seeing higher RPMs anyway more often then not. But you are correct about the "fail point". I think though by the time my Stang gets to 150k it'll be a POS anyway.

jrc_03_gt said:
WHO WANTS TO GRANNY SHIFT IT AROUND TOWN ? These cars are made to run .

I agree- they like to stretch their legs, and its hella-fun to let em do so, but when its your daily driver [like mine] I want it to last a few years. I drive a TON and accumulate miles faster than most folks will.

GinoGT said:
I'd rather beat the hell out of my car for a couple years than tiptoe around playing the "what if" game for a decade.

How many people have worn their engines out from gears? :rolleyes: If something breaks, oh well. That means you can replace it with something better. :nice:

Sounds like somebody has a bad case of the gear fear.

BTW - Bill Putnam (Mustang92) revs his stock bottom end GT to 6500RPMs, runs low 12's (has hit 11's even), has 4.30 gears, and daily drives it on top of that with over 100,000 miles. In my opinion, your durability concerns are :bs:

AMEN!!

Dave

CatmanJJ said:
I bought my Mustang to rag it, not to tip toe around town so regardless of what gears are in it, it'll be seeing higher RPMs anyway more often then not. But you are correct about the "fail point". I think though by the time my Stang gets to 150k it'll be a POS anyway.

That's why we have a warranty :)

i only put about 9000 KM on my stang a year...so thats what, 5000 miles? ...and it's my only car, daily driver. Needless to say, it will be a POS WAY before the engine wears out. Im getting my 4.10's installed as im typing this, and i'm not worried about engine wear.

Too bad its snowing today. Guess i picked a bad day to install the gears. Crappy Canadian weather, i woke up, looked outside, and screamed. At least I will see how the gears will be for winter drviing before we get to winter, lol.

Dallas Mustang

I basiclly had the same question. I have a brand new 04 GT only about a week old and i was also considering dropping 4.10 gears into her. I called Dallas Mustang and he quoted me $364 total for the gears and the install. He did say i would notice a huge difference it "would be like a total new animal". But i'm worried aoubt gas mileage and geneal stress on the engine.

Now i know this is gonna void the warrenty but haveing a mustang with 3.27s aint good.