410w swap...

94gsl5.0

Sep 7, 2004
seatown
I posted some of these in the pics page but decided to share a few more here. Especially since it seems 351 swaps cause quite the ruckess these days ;) Finished the swap some time ago (2 years or so), just never really posted about it.

Anybody who wants to do a 351 swap and has access to a block to build... I say do it. Just be prepared to encounter problems.

410w, Vortech YSi, G-force tranny, etc....

On stand with Old S-trim mocked up.
DSC_0099.jpg

Rockers
DSC_0111.jpg

In car with YSi
intaketract.jpg

With holes in the hood to clear... Tried my best to fit it under a stock hood... Almost made it.
random.jpg

At the Mustang Roundup 2008
Stang_Guemes_CRW_0653-01-1.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Now I see why you sold the SQ-trim last year...

*walks outside to admire SQ-trim* :D

Nice. :)

So was the SQ-trim on this engine at some point? What kind of power did that make?

I've been thinking about adding a S-trim to mine. I have 10.5:1 compression, so I was thinking 4 to 6 PSI would be the most I want to run with pump gas. I'd be happy with another 60-80 RWHP. I'm just worried that might be maxing out the S-trim and/or my fuel system.

*Waits for Stopsign32v to tell me a S-Trim is a waste of time and money* ;)

anymore details on what it is? heads/cam/inj etc.

410w non roller converted to roller (Link bar lifters)
All forged
Mild Comp supercharger cam (I forget the specs... would have to find my cam card)
Trick flow Highport Race CNC heads 225cc , 70cc combustion chambers
Custom Jesel Pro Series rockers with a 1.8 ratio (To make up for the mild cam)
Spyder intake with A LOT of porting to mate up to the Highports
60lb injectors with a full fuel system
Etc...

Nice. :)

So was the SQ-trim on this engine at some point? What kind of power did that make?

I've been thinking about adding a S-trim to mine. I have 10.5:1 compression, so I was thinking 4 to 6 PSI would be the most I want to run with pump gas. I'd be happy with another 60-80 RWHP. I'm just worried that might be maxing out the S-trim and/or my fuel system.

*Waits for Stopsign32v to tell me a S-Trim is a waste of time and money* ;)

The SQ-trim was on their briefly for mock up but i never ran it. The YSi was in the works since the beginning of the build. I was advised by a reputable tuner that a S-trim would not feed the 410 all that well and would be pushing its efficiency range just to make any real boost. Whereupon he sold me a YSi...

Quite the upsell... lol.

However, i am super happy with the big head unit and it's not a lazy blower like some say.

Thanks dude.

Why would there be a problem with a 351 with Gt40 heads and a Typhoon? It will make more than a 302 with the same...

I used to have a 69 Fairlane with a 302....I had no money for aftermarket heads so I had some 351 heads on it that I ported the exhaust.
I swapped in a 351 shortblock using the same heads and Isky 280 mega cam from the 302. I used the same carb and had a dual plane intake on both.
It had alot more power and picked up almost 1 sec in the 1/4 mi. I have no idea what it made on a dyno I never dynoed either combo.

So I had small heads and the car was a lot more fun with a 351 vs a 302.

Oh yeah, It's about time you posted up some pic's!!!:D

The SQ-trim was on their briefly for mock up but i never ran it. The YSi was in the works since the beginning of the build. I was advised by a reputable tuner that a S-trim would not feed the 410 all that well and would be pushing its efficiency range just to make any real boost. Whereupon he sold me a YSi...

Quite the upsell... lol.

However, i am super happy with the big head unit and it's not a lazy blower like some say.

Yeah, the YSi is definitely the way to go if you want big power. :) I just think it's more than I need. You can find used S-trims for cheap, and I know they can support the power I want. A friend of mine made well over 600rwhp with one, but I think it peaked around 580-600 before he added meth injection. I'm just afraid that even with 6# on my car it will be pushing it's efficiency range and blowing hot air, which I definitely don't want with 10.5:1 CR.

None of this really matters anyways because I can't afford any mods for a while. :(