4v Motor In My GT?

Whats up guys, Im thinking of swapping a 4v cobra into the GT but im not sure which motor. The thing is im looking at a great deal on a 98 cobra motor on ebay about $900 but isnt that motor a bit weak in power comparing it to say a 99-01 cobra or especially to a newer mach1 (although the mach probably isnt an option due to cost). Also ive thought about building a 4v navi motor but the cobra swap is much more straight foward & inexpensive.

Gimme some feedback guys!

P.S. Does anyone know where on the web i could maybe find one of these motors besides ebay?

• Sponsors (?)

The 98 Cobra motor is a 305 hp motor. The Mach 1 is 300 hp. The 99 and 01 Cobra motor is 320 hp. There's a local guy here that put a 01 Cobra motor in his 99-up GT so I know it's do-able. I just don't know the details as to how he did it.

Have you checked yet as to if the Cobra motor's Wiring Harness matches the one off your GT? Or do you already know if you have to re run all the wiring, if your not doing this yourself, Complete engine exchanges are fairly Expense, at least here In the Salem area. Another Question for you? I think the block on the Cobra is Alluminum..is the Gt's Cast Iron? If its also Alluminum they are both 4.6L it might be cheaper to Overhaul your Current engine and you could possibly push even higher horse then 320hp.

A friend of mine had a 2000 GT that he blew the engine w/ N2O; so he decided to go with the 01 Cobra engine. He ordered the complete engine and everything from Stangparts.com for about 3500 bucks. It came with EVERYTHING, I mean EVERYTHING.. steering column, wiring harness, accessories, transmission, etc., etc. He did the swap himself in about two days. And he had never messed with a Mod car before. He said something about getting the computer reset to accept the ignition because of the factory "anti-theft"... Not sure exactly what he did, but he said it was fairly easy.

Hope this helps.

From my own experiences I would try to go with a new 4v motor if you could. I have went through two used 99 cobra motors in my 96. The first motor had 35k miles and the cam sprocket bolt to the left cylinder head broke in half causing serious damage. The second motor I got had near 50k miles on it and it had a rod knock since the first day I started it up in my car.
I'm not saying all used cobra motors will be trouble, I bought both of mine through a pretty big salvage company, but just the nature of the car that which the engine came out of. Many people do not drive cobras easy and the motor will show it if it had a hard life. I learned my lesson with used cobra motors so I am having one custom built for me.

ModularMike281 said:
Whats up guys, Im thinking of swapping a 4v cobra into the GT but im not sure which motor. The thing is im looking at a great deal on a 98 cobra motor on ebay about $900 but isnt that motor a bit weak in power comparing it to say a 99-01 cobra or especially to a newer mach1 (although the mach probably isnt an option due to cost). Also ive thought about building a 4v navi motor but the cobra swap is much more straight foward & inexpensive.

Gimme some feedback guys!

P.S. Does anyone know where on the web i could maybe find one of these motors besides ebay?

If your interested in doing something like this

stang01.jpg

Check out: http://www.cobrapoweredgt.com
Don has done plenty of these swaps. He goes by walker887 on
this board. He can help you out with any info.

Chris