5.0 217,000 miles want to upgrade!!

revedup

Nov 18, 2005
S.F. Cal,
Id like to hear from owners whove upgraded
I want to know recommended heads, intake, cam, brakes and suspension!!
I need to pass semi anual smog test though!
I want more power more cornering!
I don,t want to degrade fuel consumption if possible
Im only getting 14 mpg as it is!
Body and paint are good.
Heater core out
cars still running fast and good!!
Maybe it would be worth it just to look for one already fixed up?
Cars dark midnight blue original paint no rust daily driver stick L.X. 5.0
Hatch, grey interior.
Thanx:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

keep it.. 217000 is nothing.. do a trick flow top end kit (heads, cam, intake) all in a kit. Some people around here have em, i have mixed trick flow parts, i do believe they pass smog.. not too sure so dont hold me to it

yes i was going to suggest a trick flow top end package or edelbrocks package aswell. Do a leak down test on your engine to see how the compression is. That is quite a few miles perhaps a quick hone a re ring and rebearing rebuild is in order. As far as the rest of the upgrades you want steeda/saleen/maximum motorsports makes great kits to turn your 5.0L into a corner carver.

Yeah man I have 173,000 miles on mine when I bought it and It runs like it only has 20,000 miles, I''m replacing the heads so that will give my car another 100,000 then my pistons so another 200,000 miles LOL. I aint replacing the block until the bitch snaps!!:flag:

I thought he had made a slight error when saying semi-annual testing, but then I realized he was in Cali and I thought his statement might be accurate. :rlaugh:

upgrade the crap out of it, if it wears out and dies you can just reuse your new parts and rebuild the shortblock. and while your at it, upgrade the bottom end with a nice stroker kit and really make some power.

I would go with a eddlebrock performer setup still has the holes in the heads for your smog stuff and is a pretty good upgrade over your stock heads and intake, then get a catted H pipe with a good catback and do gears if you have not done that yet should be a pretty good street setup and still get you decent gasmilage. I use to live in Norcal and it kinda depends on where you go to get smog done some places will be very picky even a CAI could be a no no but if you get a cool place they can be tricky and get you through even with stuff like O/r x or h pipes as long as it passes tail pipe they dont care. Ask around find a cool place and start doing bolt ons, have fun..

CARB Aftermarket Parts Database Do your homework before you buy anything!

Trick Flow heads and intake are smog legal, cam is NOT that I can find. Plan on keeping the stock cam, most supercharger kits are legal though.

Keep the one you have, I see the modded ones on Craig's list and half the parts won't pass smog, they aren't such a deal if you have to replace half the stuff to pass smog...

See sig. Everything is carb legal. I live in Komufornia. My recent smog test passed with flying colors. Better than my corolla. 0.00 for CO and my HC at 15mph was 2, HC for 25mph was 3. I suggest doing a leakdown and compression test before upgrading. I get about 20mpg mixed with mostly freeway driving... though I do have the stock gears in the rear right now.
Kevin