5.0 Build Thread

94mustangv67037

Jan 26, 2011
IN
As most of you know i was going to do a 4.6 build it turned into a headache and was way beyond my budget. I decided to build a budget freindly 5.0. I want to push`about 400 HP to the rear wheels which I dont think will be real hard. The 5.0 is out of a 94 F150 with a towing package. I plan to go with a carb since its cheaper to tune. I might put a small shot of nitrous on it but I'm not 100% sure yet.

Pasts List:
Ford Racing GT40X Turbo Swirl Heads
Ford Racing Cam .542 Lift 224° @ .050'' Duration
Edelbrock Victor Jr. Intake
Holly 4150 Street HP 750cfm with mech secondaries
1.7 Roller Rockers
New Roller Lifters
BBK Full Length Ceramic Headers 1 5/8
MSD 5.0L Ford Ignition Kit
Windage Tray
A/C and Power Steering delete
Melling High Volume Oil Pump

Opinions wanted!! will this make the horsepower I want? What should I change?:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Assuming from the carb and AC/PS delete this will be mainly a track car? I could see that setup hitting close to 300 rwhp, maybe 400 with enough nitrous. Since you picked Ford Racing parts, look at this crate engine Ford Racing Performance Parts. It uses the bigger Z heads and cam and still is only rated at 390hp at the crank. That's 320rwhp with 18% drivetrain loss. If you want 400rwhp you need to think bigger, either more cubes or bigger heads/cam. A 347 with AFR or TF heads and a custom cam should get you there.

Or just go with boost. GT40 heads and decent intake should get you to 400+ with 10-14psi.

Can I boost a 302 on a budget though what will I have to do to the bottom end. With that setup I was going to run a 150 shot because I was hoping to hit 500 to 550 hp when I hit the button. I would like to be in the low 11s high 10s range.

How much is your budget? You can find used Vortech's for reasonable prices. I think the stock bottom end will hold 400rwhp, but I wouldn't trust it for long if you go much over that. The stock block is known to break at 550+rwhp, although some people get away with it. It just depends on the tune and how high you rev it.

You can get to low 11's with 400rwhp if the rest of the car is set up properly. In my searching I found a guy running mid 11's with 315rwhp with the X303 heads, and 10's with nitrous. But, that was in a full drag car. My car is a street/handling car that I take to the track on occasion and could only get high 11's with 450rwhp.

is this intended to be a race car, or a daily type driver?

carbs are actually pretty cool things ... i am rebuilding an autolite 4100 right now for my fairlane.

a carb with mechanical secondaries is fine for a race car, but not so great for a daily driver type of car. for a daily driver, vacuum secondaries are much better.

re converting efi to carb, if you get an older block, then it will have a spot for the engine mounted fuel pump, and then you can drive the fuel pump from the engine, saving the hassle and expense of the fuel tank conversion and external pump setup usually associated with a conversion from EFI to carb. that requires a cam with a fuel pump eccentric ... no big deal, but something to keep in mind.

then again, there would probably still need to be some work in the tank though, to remove/disable the pump that is mounted inside the tank.

Ok so what I'm getting is that it can be done on a budget which mine is about $6000-$7000 for the motor. It's recomended to get a rotating assembly possibly .030 over. Run the GT40X heads with fuel injection not carb and have a good tune and I should be where I want HP wise. Should I use the GT40 intake also? Would a Novi work instead of a Vortech. It wont be a daily driver, but I still want to be able to drive it on the road. The power steering and A/C are not need because I'm used to not having them anyway.

Ok so I got the motor on a stand and degreased it with purple power which worked really well. Later this week I'll post some pictures of the tear down then it will be off to the machine shop to be bored, decked, and hot tanked. I'm not sure when but the car will be getting new paint and badges