5.0 fuel feed questions

I am in latter stages of putting a 5.0 HO EFI in my 65 Mustang convertible and have a couple of fuel feed questions.
1. I have finished the ss fuel lines run to the engine bay - which of the tubes off the injectors in "in" and which is "out"??
2. Is that carbon canister and valve in the fuel return line really necessary (remember, no smog rules on a '65)??

Thanx!!!

• Sponsors (?)

65conv50 said:
I am in latter stages of putting a 5.0 HO EFI in my 65 Mustang convertible and have a couple of fuel feed questions.
1. I have finished the ss fuel lines run to the engine bay - which of the tubes off the injectors in "in" and which is "out"??
2. Is that carbon canister and valve in the fuel return line really necessary (remember, no smog rules on a '65)??

Thanx!!!

1.) The injectors are all on the "in" or pressure feed side of the line. The regulator connects to the pressure side and dumps fuel to the return or "out" line. This assumes you have aftermarket injector rails. With the stock rail setup, one line feeds the injectors and the other returns excess fuel to the tank.

2.) No carbon canister needed if you aren't in an area that requires smog inspections. I would hook it up because it supplies some fuel vapor for cruse operation and is easy to plumb & wire.

At the risk of sounding dumb: I am using the stock injectors. I know that one tube is "in" and the other is "out". But they are identical, and just hanging on the side of the manifold. How do I tell which is which??? (Most of my engine work is old stuff - with carburetors.....)

Im actually doing my 66, im alos doing a T5....i cant wait to get it done....

The fuel lines, as long as they are stock, are easy to distinguish. Sounds like you have the lines coming all the way down to the oil pan, on the passenger side, so look for the one with the fuel pressure test port- thats IN. should be right around the valve cover and a little threaded cap- that should do it

\