5.0 Initial Timing Setting.

imp

Mustang Master
Jul 13, 2017
Hey, don't know why I seem unable to answer this for myself! We put in the Distributor, check ignition timing, want 10` BTDC with the "shorting plug" removed, lock down the Distributor, check to make sure it wasn't moved, reinsert shorting plug.

Now, the PCM does timing of the spark. Can it ever bring the timing down below 10`? If not, why not? IOW, if I set initial to, say, 15`, will that always be the minimum amount of advance?

More quandary: my official wiring diagrams from Ford's certified source, Helm, Inc., show a Knock Sensor. Never seen such an animal on a 5.0. I understand 2.3L 4-banger had one; drawings unclear on that.

Thanks for any ideas on this! imp

• Sponsors (?)

The software inside the computer is designed to advance the software from an initial starting point and is not capable of doing a retard. Whatever static timing is set by the distributor position or "octane rod" is the minimum spark advance. If you manually set 15 degrees BTC, that is the minimum timing advance you will have with the SPOUT removed..

Reactions: 1 user
The software inside the computer is designed to advance the software from an initial starting point and is not capable of doing a retard. Whatever static timing is set by the distributor position or "octane rod" is the minimum spark advance. If you manually set 15 degrees BTC, that is the minimum timing advance you will have with the SPOUT removed..
@jrichker
That's about how I figgered it, but was not certain. Having looked into the question of HTH does the PCM determine cylinder 1, or TDC, long time ago, the one uneven space on the 8 slots on the Hall Effect jumped out at me. I think Crankshaft Position Sensor is a better idea. imp