5.4 Swap

07blackstallion

Jan 18, 2011
Question: Is there any difference from the GT500 5.4 to say a 5.4 out of an F-150 or a navigator? i'm trying to figure out the best way to go for good strong reliable power whether it be building up my 3 valve or do a swap with a 5.4any info is greatley appretiated

• Sponsors (?)

To answer the question...

The F150/Navigator use an iron block SOHC 3 valve 5.4L that produces 300-320 HP. (basically what a stock Mustang GT 4.6 produces)

The GT500 is also an iron block 5.4, but it is hand built and is a 4 valve DOHC. The heads are high flow heads similar to those on the Ford GT, and the cams are similar to the 03-04 Cobra. I am not sure what the N/A numbers would be, but I would assume that they would be much better then the 3V F150 engine.

I have always been a "there is no replacement for displacement" type of guy, and I have always loved the 5.4 platform, but the research that I have done says that its not really worth the swap...unless I can get a complete drivetrain from a wrecked GT500 that is......LOL

thanks for the tips1 the only reason i was thinking out of another model other than the GT500 is because of the wrecked reason, one shows up in a junkyard and its like finding gold but how many people are tearing out the 5.4 out of an f-150? anyway putting some good internals in mine right now looks like the way to go

The 5.4 out of an F-150 is also a 3 valve and it's full of bull***** internals. You're going to have to pull it apart and put in some good parts, spend all sorts of money to make more HP then stock and you'll still be stuck with the headache of fitting it in. NOT WORTH IT