5.4 Swap

07blackstallion

Jan 18, 2011
Question: Is there any difference from the GT500 5.4 to say a 5.4 out of an F-150 or a navigator? i'm trying to figure out the best way to go for good strong reliable power whether it be building up my 3 valve or do a swap with a 5.4any info is greatley appretiated

• Sponsors (?)

To answer the question...

The F150/Navigator use an iron block SOHC 3 valve 5.4L that produces 300-320 HP. (basically what a stock Mustang GT 4.6 produces)

The GT500 is also an iron block 5.4, but it is hand built and is a 4 valve DOHC. The heads are high flow heads similar to those on the Ford GT, and the cams are similar to the 03-04 Cobra. I am not sure what the N/A numbers would be, but I would assume that they would be much better then the 3V F150 engine.

I have always been a "there is no replacement for displacement" type of guy, and I have always loved the 5.4 platform, but the research that I have done says that its not really worth the swap...unless I can get a complete drivetrain from a wrecked GT500 that is......LOL

thanks for the tips1 the only reason i was thinking out of another model other than the GT500 is because of the wrecked reason, one shows up in a junkyard and its like finding gold but how many people are tearing out the 5.4 out of an f-150? anyway putting some good internals in mine right now looks like the way to go