5 lug conversion problem

crazy98gt

Dec 24, 2005
hey guys. im trying to do a 5 lug converion on my 86 gt. i'm using sn95 spindles but when i try to mount the struts it seems that the holes in the sn95 spindles dont match up to the holes on my fox body struts. it looks like the holes on the new spindles are about a 1/4" too far apart? i've looked all over the internet but i cant seem to find anyone else having the same problem let alone a solution. everywhere i look it seems that anyone else who did this conversion had no problem and it bolted right up with the 86 struts?? any thoughts on this? is there something i missed or haven't thought about??

• Sponsors (?)

hey guys. im trying to do a 5 lug converion on my 86 gt. i'm using sn95 spindles but when i try to mount the struts it seems that the holes in the sn95 spindles dont match up to the holes on my fox body struts. it looks like the holes on the new spindles are about a 1/4" too far apart? i've looked all over the internet but i cant seem to find anyone else having the same problem let alone a solution. everywhere i look it seems that anyone else who did this conversion had no problem and it bolted right up with the 86 struts?? any thoughts on this? is there something i missed or haven't thought about??

Not sure....but can't you just drill the hole to make it work?

If you buy new struts the one hole is longer to accept the different spindles. the holes on a 4cyl (87-93) and 86 and previous GT/LX are smaller then the 87-04 GT/V6/V8 cars. you have stock struts it sounds like, and with the newer spindles the mounting holes are spaced farther apart. go ahead and notch the holes on the bottom of the struts, there will not be any side affects. also i remember from my car that the strut mount is also different width's between the 4cyl/86GT and the 87+ V8 & V6 cars. If you need clairification, i will try...

Charlie

i'm using the stock 86 gt struts and im not sure what year the spindles are i just know that they're sn95 spindles. is there any way to tell what year car they came off? can anyone else confirm that there won't be any side effects i just notch out the strut to make it fit?

Here is a pic from Autozone, notice the notched hole

Also, if you look on the spindle there should be an "F" number, like F4xx-xx-xxx something like that. F4 is the year of manufacture.
C=60
D=70
E=80
F=90
and the following number is the "ones" year.
F4 = 94
Like the great D0VE 460 heads there manufactured in 1970...