6 Mustang Bronco swap questions

bcmbcmbcm

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jan 29, 2003
Hey everyone,

I am not sure if I should post this in the vintage forum or the 5.0 forum so I am posting in both, please forgive me!

Anyways I am putting in a nicely built 306 into an 87 mustang, and taking a low mile (55k) forged slug 5.0 out. I am also putting a Z spec T5 into the mustang, and taking the rebuilt (with Lentech guts and VB, edge converted) out.

I want to put the forged slug 5.0 and AOD into a 74 bronco. I was thinking of converting the bronco to EFI but I am now leaning towards carb.

The engine has a slight, very slight bottom end knock every fifth or so time I start it up. Who knows maybe it is even an engine mount. But I was thinking of running it through the machine shop while it is out. They can do a crank grind, light hone, new rings (re-use old pistons and cam, etc.) for under $1000. Plus they will tank the block and paint it.

So my #1 is, if I do run a carb (It will be an autolite 4100 or 3 2100s baffled for off road use), will all carb manifolds fit the stock E7 heads? (I was thinking of an EDL 2121, a stock 289 4V manifold, or maybe even 3 autolite 2100s)

Question #2, What do I do about a fuel pump? Go electric with a regulator? If so can anyone recommend some part numbers (I typically order from summit)

Question #3, how would the stock cam perform and SOUND? I like the stock 5.0 sound with EFI, how would it sound with a carb?

Question #4, is it worth it to have Jay grind a custom cam for this application?

Question #5, any problems anticipated hooking up kickdown linkage to the AOD? How about the stock column shift Bronco shift linkage (I already have all the other AOD swap details sorted, Advanced Adapters kit, crossmembers, driveshafts, etc.)

Question #6, can someone recommend a stock air cleaner application I can buy on eBay or something for the carb? I heard Galaxie? I wanted to have it powdercoated with a repro sticker on it for a stockish look, and wanted to stay away from the aftermarket.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)