'65 Project Car: Stage 1

BullittStangV8

Founding Member
Oct 5, 2002
NJ
Thought I would post some pictures that show the progress I've made on my 65 mustang. Originally, I blew up the motor in 2002 at my highschool graduation. It had the old 289, headers, intake, and carb (680 holley) as the only mods. When it died, my father gave the car to me, as it no longer was able to run, and he didnt have the funds/time to fix it. SO, after 4 years of hard work and savings, I thought I would show you guys what I've done. So...heres project GrimReaper. :nice:

1) Assembled the longblock. Its a DSS level 10 331 stroker. Forged rods, pistons, and crank. 10.1-1 compression. Heads are AFR 185's. Cam is a Ford F cam. On the bottom end its a Melling high volume pump, and a 7 qt Canton pan and pick up. DSS main support. Up top is a Edel. Air gap. Still no carb. Hooker Super comp. headers.

http://img251.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10006306dl.jpg

2)Back side. Ram 157 tooth, 28oz balanced. Centerforce Dual Friction pressure plate/clutch. ARP bolts on the flywheel. WORD OF WARNING: use the FMS dowelpin/bolt kid. ARP's P/N offered on summit is the wrong threading. It cost me a bolt and a trip to the machine shop. Threw a new throw out bearing on there as well.

10006361yp.th.jpg

3. The interior. People have been asking for pics of a 5 inch monster tach. So heres mine. Also, a shot of the rear panel to seperate the trunk from the cabin. (fuel fire saftey?) I dont see a ton of rust on the floorpans, which is nice.

10006401zp.th.jpg

10006412br.th.jpg

10006442zv.th.jpg

4. Outside shots.

10001776gy.th.jpg

10001797yf.th.jpg

I forgot to take a pic of it droped in and dressed up. Ill update with pics of that and of the roll cage when I get it back from the chassis shop.

Mike

Attachments

• 10006361yp.th.jpg
    10006361yp.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 73
  • 10006401zp.th.jpg
    10006401zp.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 66
  • 10006442zv.th.jpg
    10006442zv.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 62
  • 10006412br.th.jpg
    10006412br.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 73
  • 10001797yf.th.jpg
    10001797yf.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 65
  • 10001776gy.th.jpg
    10001776gy.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 67
  • Sponsors (?)

Do you have any idea as to when you will be installing and testing the motor, do you have any plans to dyno it right away?

Reason I ask is that I have been seriously looking into the DSS 347 with pretty much all the same bolt-ons that you have.

The motor is already in. As for getting it running and on the dyno..I would say June/July. I'm away at school now. The reason I went with the 331 is that there is some belief that 331's have better oiling and longer life then 347 (hearsay). DSS also suggested the 331 combo over the 347.

The motor is already in. As for getting it running and on the dyno..I would say June/July. I'm away at school now. The reason I went with the 331 is that there is some belief that 331's have better oiling and longer life then 347 (hearsay). DSS also suggested the 331 combo over the 347.

The 331 vs. 347 debate has been something I have been thinking about as well. I don't really want to open up the debate right now, but it seems for as many people saying bad things about 347's their are success stories...so I don't know yet. But I am curious, what was DSS's rationale for the 331?

Did you buy the longblock from them or did you have your heads already and put it together yourself?

That is one pretty car..... Fresh motor, fresh headers, looking good. Cage? Putting in a 6 point? You'll be happy with the stroker, mines a torque monster and in a light car that makes for lots of fun.....

Coolblue: DSS mentioned that the 331 had better oiling then the 347. Their belief it seemed was that the 347 would be a better choice for a drag set up. (more power, with the risk of lower engine life). For my build up, I needed a motor that would make nice power but also have a longer life. For the extra 16 CI, it just wasnt worth the risk. I know theres debate if there is any, but for me the 331 is piece of mind and shouldnt really make that much less hp. They also stat that they see many many 331 combos make just as much power as 347's. Its in the set up. And it came with the AFR 185s with their own roller rockers. Their pricing was spot on with almost everywhere else I could find for assembled heads.

WashMO: thanks for the kind words. Everyone I keep talking too told me building for around 400 HP isnt enough to make the car very fast. (11's?). With a weigh in goal of 2700, I think it'll run well. And yes, its getting a 6 point. You were right in going with a 6 rather than an 8, as I've learned in these cars that the 2 legs which would run from the cross bar would only be attaching to sheetmetal/floorboard. Theres no real support in that.

btw the shop is http://www.profabchassis.com/FLASH/index.html
They build some monster cars. When I opened their garage door to push in my car...they all kinda got a little smirk on their face. I think it was the color. :)

2700lbs is pretty agressive, you plan on stripping out the entire interior? Cage mild steel or Moly? Little bit of weight savings ther but not much ( I did moly)

All builds are different, not sure what your 331 is going to crank out.... There are some people on here with 302 based strokers in 65-66's running 11's and 12's and probably some not sorted out running 13's. All these builds are not radical race motors, just 10. something to 1 pump gas reliable street motors (like mine). I know guys with Higher compression race fuel solid lifter motors that run mid 10's with a 347NA all day long. But that's not our goal, we want the happy balance of street and strip.

Once you get your sorted out I don't see any reason why it wouldn't go 11's. First thing I would do is ditch the dual plane and get a Vic Jr and stick a 750 mechanical secondary carb on it, even a 650 mighty demon would be fine, I have one in a box in my garage that was on mine that worked great.

331 vs 347? I run mine hard, but I also take good care of my stuff so mine has been fine so far. What does your cam specs look like? You revving it high? hydraulic roller?

Cage is mild steel. So thats some added weight there. The interior is going to be pretty bare. Seats are going to be replaced with light weight seats. (kirkley? summit leather seats?) stock radio (maybe a radio delete, as I never use the radio anyways.), no heater. I'll leave that back seat in, but take it out for track time. 2,700 might be impossible for me to reach, but its only a goal. Realistically it will be higher. I have a little plan for the glove box, Ill show you guys that whenever I get around to doing it.

The cam is ford racing X cam. Specs: 3500-6200 power band. Int Dur: 286, Exh Dur: 286, valve lift int:.542'', valve lift exh: .542''. Its hydro. roller, and I put a double roller timing chain on.

I forgot to mention: ignition side is MSD billet distributor with mechanical secondaries, 6AL box, and MSD coil. Trans is a toploader 4 spd, and the rear currently is the old original 8 inch with 2.80 gearing :(

Say goodbye to your rear end, and to 11's with a 2:80 gear.....

I'll send you a pic of my glovebox later, it's special too......

I have Kirkey low back buckets, 11 lbs each.

I have no radio, I listen to Borla's

My heater core isn't hooked up so I may lose the fan motor and the rest of the stuff to lighten up. Sold my billit grill (it was heavier than stock)

Won't give up my new carpet.....

The rear end is NOT staying! I dont think it would survive a clutch drop with slicks on it. Its getting a 9 inch rear with a detroit locker with some aggressive gearing and 31 spline shafts. 4.10's? maybe even shorter gears.
Pm me when you have pics of your glovebox. I wonder if what you have set up is similar to what im planning. The carpet is staying as well. Debating pullin the matting under parts of the carpet tho. I doubt it weights more then 3 lbs, so Ill probably leave it. I posted a thread with the weight of the heating unit whem empty. Something like 13-20 lbs? I need to fab up a plate to cover the hole that the fan unit used to fill on the firewall.

With a 26" slick and a 3.70 gear I was going through the traps at caround 5900 to 6K RPM, that's why I bought my new richmond 4.11's. I don't have them in yet but they should get me more up into my power band all the way through. My CAM is good up to 6600RPM.....

Just got a call from Pro Fab this morning..they finished with the cage. :) I guess that means Ill need to take a trip home from college to paint it and take some pictures. Luckily the frame was in good shape, but there was some hidden body filler found. :( Nothing major, just a poor fix job at some point by a previous owner. I guess the next adventure is on to getting the brackets for the accelerator and z bar set up.

the car is comming home tonight. Ill try and get pics up of the roll cage. The guys at the shop went out of there way on this build. They had the car for 8 days start to finish. PRO FAB for the win!

cageoneas6.th.jpg

cage2ea4.th.jpg

cage3tm0.th.jpg

engine1rf0.th.jpg

There you have it. I dont know how to rotate the pictures on an apple, and I cant do much about them because they were scanned and emailed to me. anyways, theres the pics of the cage, and a couple of the engine bay. I dont think im going to fit between that bar and the steering wheel once a seat goes in..:)

Attachments

• cage3tm0.th.jpg
    cage3tm0.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 61
  • cage2ea4.th.jpg
    cage2ea4.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 66
  • cageoneas6.th.jpg
    cageoneas6.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 60
  • engine1rf0.th.jpg
    engine1rf0.th.jpg