'66 289 Rebuilt, Revs but won't idle

66ford289

Apr 10, 2005
New to the forum. I have a 1966 Mustang with a 289. I just rebuilt the motor and I couldn't get to to start but then adjusted the valves and it finally did. It will rev up but it won't idle. I did remove the points and replaced them but no change. Looked at the cam in the distributor and looks like the points aren't open fully when it is suppose to fire. I'm pretty sure the cam is in right. (Put it in straight up) I've heard everything from it being a vacuum leak to the idle circuit on the carb being goofed up. Any help would be appreciated. (When I rebuilt the engine I went to flat top pistons which gives about 9.8 to 1 compression, used a new cam [email protected] and .498 lift, and ported heads)

• Sponsors (?)

assuming its something small and stupid, lets examine the vacuum thing because i recently had my 289 rebuilt and it did the same thing as yours. the car would rev strong but had a crazy idle surge and would die almost instantly. i hooked up a vacuum gauge which didnt tell me anything. sure enough though, there was a huge vacuum leak where the carb spacer meats the intake manifold. i replaced the spacer with a universal one and some new gaskets and it idled great. just a thought, be sure the small stuff is covered first before u assume its something major internal.

Alright I will take a look to see if there are any vacuum leaks, proabably just pull the carb spacer, and then replace gaskets working down through there (ending with the intake) hopefully it works. Also I will go back over all the little things like the ignition, timing and fuel thanks for the help.