Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stayed on Table Rock Lake with my family in a shtty cabin two seperate times as a youngin. This vacay is now as an adult with my own family, my oldest son about the age I was the first time my parents took me. Its too bad the "resort" we stayed at is long gone, cause it would have been way cool to get pics of my 7 year old in front of the cabin. He is a spitting image of me when I was 7.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Let me know if you change your mind on the engine. Even a stock 302 would sound and feel way cooler than the 6, and help you get by for another couple years til things turn around. I'd be happy to help, thats what these forums are all about, IMO.

Let me know if you change your mind on the engine. Even a stock 302 would sound and feel way cooler than the 6, and help you get by for another couple years til things turn around. I'd be happy to help, thats what these forums are all about, IMO.
I would need everything is my biggest problem Nick. Money hang up there.

I agree it would be nicer to have than the little essex.

I will be tearing into my engine, i want to replace the head gaskets. I may use ARP hardware when I reassemble it. I still have it in my head to throw a cheap turbo system on it when it gets close to the big swaparoo. I want to see what the little turd will take.

I would need everything is my biggest problem Nick. Money hang up there.

I agree it would be nicer to have than the little essex.

I will be tearing into my engine, i want to replace the head gaskets. I may use ARP hardware when I reassemble it. I still have it in my head to throw a cheap turbo system on it when it gets close to the big swaparoo. I want to see what the little turd will take.

Thats fair buddy. Would be a cool to see you turbo your stock sleeper.

I think I've said this before Dave, but if I haven't......
I cannot believe that wrecked cars have all of the sudden stopped happening, or that some of the best drivers in the US are in Tulsa Oklahoma. Seems to me that the "collision and repaint" industry will never dry up as long as there are people w/ Iphones on the roads. Yet you have experienced one of the slowest years in your history.

So then,....if you look into it....what has happened to your employers business? It certainly isn't because of your shoddy work ethic, or the lack of a quality finished result. You need to do some homework Dave.

Why don't you go elsewhere?

Why don't you start up your own business? You yourself should know that you'll never make more money than you will working for yourself.

Think about it Dave,...You have established a reputation for yourself here,...In your own area, you have proven yourself good enough to get referred to somebody looking for a potentially high dollar "restoration caliber" paint job. I'm quite sure that there are several other references you could reach out and touch for referrals. Now that there is the internet and FB Dave, you no longer are trapped in a single market reliant on the sign on the door to tell people what you do, or to give testimony to what you are capable of doing.

How many "ready to paint" Monsters would you have to paint to pay the bills if you truly charged what the job was worth? (and if it actually cost more than a plane fare?) How many old assed Impala's would it take? ( Especially if you actually had quoted the car for the ACTUAL work you are having to do?)

You need to get a sharper pencil Dave....All of us here know that the 4k Impala should have been at least twice that considering all of the work that you are having to do that goes beyond the scope of what was originally discussed...

The intent is to make this an absolute stunner of a car. I won't be doing the bodywork, of which I'm both thankful and worried at the same time. Once I have the panels stripped and epoxy primered, I wait on the bodyman to do his work. I have given him stern warnings of what I expect. I will block this vehicle completely at least five times with varying grits of sandpaper.

I won't beat this horse anymore than this,...I know it's never an easy thing to go somewhere else, or especially start up your own business,....But think about it Dave....

Daves Monster and 3 mile long Impala beauty salon

On the red car,...sorry about that too Dave,..That is a something that none of us here know the full story on, but it is probably best that you stop literally bleeding red,....so that you can focus on staying "true blue" :rolleyes:;)

Reactions: 5 users

I've got stock v8 kmember í can donate to the swap if it'll help. Branson/table rock ain't that far for me either if you want.

Mike has a point Dave. Look at Kevin and his business K & K Custom Mustangs. His back from the ashes thread brought him so much attention he doesnt even have enough time to finish his own car. You are every bit as good as he is, and he is out in the boonies of TN somewhere. Not like he opened up shop in a big city.

Reactions: 1 user

I've got stock v8 kmember í can donate to the swap if it'll help. Branson/table rock ain't that far for me either if you want.
Now if I could only find a T5 to go with it!:D

I appreciate it guys, got to admit, a trip to Branson for Mustang stuff would be a really nice thing. I bet I could convince my son to make the road trip with me.........hum.......

I think I've said this before Dave, but if I haven't......
I cannot believe that wrecked cars have all of the sudden stopped happening, or that some of the best drivers in the US are in Tulsa Oklahoma. Seems to me that the "collision and repaint" industry will never dry up as long as there are people w/ Iphones on the roads. Yet you have experienced one of the slowest years in your history.

So then,....if you look into it....what has happened to your employers business? It certainly isn't because of your shoddy work ethic, or the lack of a quality finished result. You need to do some homework Dave.

Why don't you go elsewhere?

Why don't you start up your own business? You yourself should know that you'll never make more money than you will working for yourself.

Think about it Dave,...You have established a reputation for yourself here,...In your own area, you have proven yourself good enough to get referred to somebody looking for a potentially high dollar "restoration caliber" paint job. I'm quite sure that there are several other references you could reach out and touch for referrals. Now that there is the internet and FB Dave, you no longer are trapped in a single market reliant on the sign on the door to tell people what you do, or to give testimony to what you are capable of doing.

How many "ready to paint" Monsters would you have to paint to pay the bills if you truly charged what the job was worth? (and if it actually cost more than a plane fare?) How many old assed Impala's would it take? ( Especially if you actually had quoted the car for the ACTUAL work you are having to do?)

You need to get a sharper pencil Dave....All of us here know that the 4k Impala should have been at least twice that considering all of the work that you are having to do that goes beyond the scope of what was originally discussed...

I won't beat this horse anymore than this,...I know it's never an easy thing to go somewhere else, or especially start up your own business,....But think about it Dave....

Daves Monster and 3 mile long Impala beauty salon

On the red car,...sorry about that too Dave,..That is a something that none of us here know the full story on, but it is probably best that you stop literally bleeding red,....so that you can focus on staying "true blue" :rolleyes:;)
Just so it's known, I'm done going elsewhere.

I travelled for so many years of my life, I just want to sit in one place now.

Your idea of a shop is attractive. I do think I could offer quite a service to a customer as well. Yet, now isn't the time for me.

I know I'm no spring chicken, but I already work enough hours as it is. Starting a new business would have the benefit of me seeing less of my wife, but it would have the same result for my youngest kids. I'm not worth so much to take away their father for their last couple years at home.

My baby girl will be a sophomore this year, so three years from now I might be available to this idea.

One of the problems will be the initial investment, I don't have the money. An investor could be found, but do I have the desire then at 58 to offer a decent ROI to that investor? IDK.

Maybe if that lottery thing will pay off finally.......:doh:

Just so it's known, I'm done going elsewhere.

I travelled for so many years of my life, I just want to sit in one place now.

Your idea of a shop is attractive. I do think I could offer quite a service to a customer as well. Yet, now isn't the time for me.

I know I'm no spring chicken, but I already work enough hours as it is. Starting a new business would have the benefit of me seeing less of my wife, but it would have the same result for my youngest kids. I'm not worth so much to take away their father for their last couple years at home.

My baby girl will be a sophomore this year, so three years from now I might be available to this idea.

One of the problems will be the initial investment, I don't have the money. An investor could be found, but do I have the desire then at 58 to offer a decent ROI to that investor? IDK.

Maybe if that lottery thing will pay off finally.......:doh:

Sounds like you're jumping from zero to West Coast Customs in an afternoon.

If it were me, I'd start building up those side-jobs you're used to passing on. A bunch of us watched Bill flip cars in his drive-way for years before getting to the shop part.

You're a smart guy Dave and I think you sell yourself short... often.

Reactions: 5 users
Sounds like you're jumping from zero to West Coast Customs in an afternoon.

If it were me, I'd start building up those side-jobs you're used to passing on. A bunch of us watched Bill flip cars in his drive-way for years before getting to the shop part.

You're a smart guy Dave and I think you sell yourself short... often.
Nice of you to say Noobz.

I can't build cars at my home (beyond my own). The HOA would flip sht on me over that.

Honestly, I haven't given it a lot of serious thought at all. My life is quite cobwebbed up. No simple answers.

I don't mind being a collision painter. Sure, it might be nice to have my own shop that I could build really btchin' fox bodies for people. It just won't happen for awhile yet.

That's ok too.

I couldn't do a West Coast Customs thing anyhow, I would need to spend too much on tattoos.:jester:

Remember the SRA reading box Dave?
e9da17d9c00a3f5bddc5801939d2c7d9.jpg

Multi-colored reading assignments they used in my grade school that got increasingly harder to read and understand as you progressed through the colors? Did you have this?
I only remember it being used in the 6th grade.

My point is that I remember one particular color assignment and the content of that assignment to this day...It was red, and the main topic was that most Americans limited their potential for advancement because of their unwillingness to change or their inability to move to where the opportunity is. (think...... coal miners, auto industry workers, textile plant workers....)

I'm not gonna tell you what to do here Dave, But I do think there is a way for you to truly benefit from what you have to offer.
And I'll bet it's not as hard as you might think.

You already have an 'in' with 'impala man'. Just cultivate that connection, schedule the work so it balances job, side work and home life, you may have to bring in a panel beater and make sure he understands how YOU want it done, that way everybody gets on the same page, TG will get his quality work done, body man can hone his skills and you can apply your craft and still see the wife, kids, mow the lawn and polish that blue car into the twin turbo big block jackstand riding diamond it deserves to be.
Time management and communication.
Baby steps my beer swig'n brother.

As a shop owner for 12 years I'll add this little piece of advise....

At my shop I did the majority of the work because I wanted to make sure everything was done right. I did everything myself and lived there 24-7. Now that I've learned more about business there is no way in hell I'd do that again. The business is supposed to work for you....not the other way around. There's no reason to be there all the time. That's what management is for....and that's what employees are for.

When I stepped away and leased it out I realized how I wore myself out....and the difference between a mom and pop shop and a corporate style business.

I'd rather coach and manage a well chosen team to do the work, than to slave through it all on my own.

I like doing the complete job myself, it's more than work to me.

I derive joy from working on cars like I do when I'm fishing.

Lots to consider, thanks for the input Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.