Progress Thread 88 Gt T-top- Project problem child

• Sponsors (?)

New toys.

Attachments

• IMG_1233.JPG
    IMG_1233.JPG
    530.5 KB · Views: 190
Reactions: 1 user
One last test panel. Pic of finish.. not a selfie.

Will have the bay done soon.

The new gun sprays much better. Much easier to
Use; harder to get runs.

Attachments

• IMG_1296.JPG
    IMG_1296.JPG
    276 KB · Views: 176
Ok, it's was a 2 steps forward 3 steps back kinda night.

Laying base clear, and I tried to get a dust nib
On the passenger side and ended up having to sand it down, but most of it turned out.

Attachments

• IMG_1338.JPG
    IMG_1338.JPG
    392.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1340.JPG
    IMG_1340.JPG
    343.8 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1341.JPG
    IMG_1341.JPG
    500.5 KB · Views: 177
Reactions: 1 users
It was a fight though. The base coat kept getting crap in it. Once I'm done with this last part, and the engine is back together, I'm gonna scrub my Garage and hang plastic.

Just a little touch up left to do then the bay is done.

I'm getting better with spraying, tonight I learned what last nights mistakes were, I didn't know clear would cover real fine scratches. Also learning that fresh masking tape and paper really cuts down on dust. Doubt it'll be a show car but I'll be able to say I did it myself.

Attachments

• IMG_1353.JPG
    IMG_1353.JPG
    394.5 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_1354.JPG
    IMG_1354.JPG
    394.1 KB · Views: 166
Reactions: 3 users
Clear will cover up some relatively heavy scratches, depending on the viscosity of the clear of course.

I sanded my taillights with 400 grit on my DA and cleared directly over that.

It helps to do a blow-tacking prior to paint. After you panels are all wiped down and masked, using an airblower at low pressure begin at the highest point anywhere close to where you'll be painting and blow over the panels going smoothly downwards while using a clean tack rag in your other hand to wipe immediately behind the area you just have blown the dust off of. Do that all the way to the bottom of the panels. Then right before you get ready to spray, tack the panel without the blower one more time.

The second tacking picks up any dust that resettled onto the panel.

Guess I should have mentioned this to you when we talked, sorry Bill.

I always remove any masking from the prepping stage and remask prior to painting a vehicle. I also clean the living hell out of any place I'll stick tape too. Blow dust off, wipe it down, mask. Then wax and grease remove, blow tack, let it settle for a couple minutes, tack again and paint.

Pictures of the EB?

The cowel looks great btw.

Crappy pic, there is dust everywhere from removing the tarp.

Took me a couple hours to get used to being
In mechanic mode vs body man mode. The Rachet felt foreign for awhile. But I started the header install. Only gonna snug them till after the brake booster is in, dunno how how that's gonna be .

Attachments

• IMG_1366.JPG
    IMG_1366.JPG
    652 KB · Views: 172
Reactions: 5 users