9" Axle bearing install 101, Q?s

Thanks to all of you for your help!

I just test fix my stock brake system on my Versailles 9" rear. I went w/ the stock brakes and so far only have about $180 in my brakes, but still need hoses, oh well.

My questions are:

From what I have read from some of the links members have provided me is this axle has one main bearing pressed on the axle w/ an inner and outer seals?

To pull the axles, I just need an attachment at the lugs and a slide hammer (my part store rents both) and no c clips to pull?

I plan to run the stock 3rd member and when I can upgrade to lower gears w/ a tack loc later. I've heard that some of the 70s & 80s bronco 9"s were set up w/ lower gears and track locs? Also are they also 28 spline? Is there a factory 3rd member I can pull from a salvage yard w/ the 28 spline, lower gears, and track loc setup?

I plan to have the axle bearings pressed on by a local machine shop. I would prefer to install the seals and axles w/ the newly pressed bearings myself. What is the procedure for reinstalling the axle w/ new bearing? Can I just rent another tool to press the axle back in the housing?

More questions to come, thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

If you are using the stock Versailles brakes and need hoses, you can get your old ones reworked by some place like Hydraulic House. I had trouble finding new ones and went this route. You could also get some universal braided stainless ones that would work too.

When I had my new bearings pressed on by a local shop, I just made sure that the caliper brackets were on as well as the new seals.

You shouldn't have much trouble getting the axle shafts back in the housing. I just used the bolts to walk it back in and then seat it down. Be carefull with those bolts, they are unique to the Versailles rear end.

If you are using the stock Versailles brakes and need hoses, you can get your old ones reworked by some place like Hydraulic House. I had trouble finding new ones and went this route. You could also get some universal braided stainless ones that would work too.

When I had my new bearings pressed on by a local shop, I just made sure that the caliper brackets were on as well as the new seals.

You shouldn't have much trouble getting the axle shafts back in the housing. I just used the bolts to walk it back in and then seat it down. Be carefull with those bolts, they are unique to the Versailles rear end.

Yea, I'm using the stock Versailles brakes. I called a Hydraulic House that I found online who is located in FL and the said the do not work on any lines that run brake fluid? Where is the Co. you used located.

I got a deal on the axle bearing kits from Auto parts warehouse about $76.00 vs. all the local stores wanting $50/each for the bearing only. So I will need to wait till they show up.

I dont think I will have any trouble reinstalling the axles as they were super easy to pull. From my inspection my axle has one seal, then the bearing, a spacer and then a metal type gasket between the brake brackets and the housing, which is in rough shape, does this come w/ the kits or must I reuse? I will be careful w/ the T-bolts, I read they are hard to find. Thanks for all your imput!!

Yea, I'm using the stock Versailles brakes. I called a Hydraulic House that I found online who is located in FL and the said the do not work on any lines that run brake fluid? Where is the Co. you used located.

I got a deal on the axle bearing kits from Auto parts warehouse about $76.00 vs. all the local stores wanting $50/each for the bearing only. So I will need to wait till they show up.

I dont think I will have any trouble reinstalling the axles as they were super easy to pull. From my inspection my axle has one seal, then the bearing, a spacer and then a metal type gasket between the brake brackets and the housing, which is in rough shape, does this come w/ the kits or must I reuse? I will be careful w/ the T-bolts, I read they are hard to find. Thanks for all your imput!!

I used Hydraulic House in Austin Texas. They are certified to make/repair brake hoses.

I wouldn't reuse the flat outer seals. I doubt your new bearings will come with them. They are cheap and Rock Auto has them. I think most Mustang parts stores have them too.

Don't mix up your caliper mounting brackets, calipers and rotors. They are L and R specific. The rotors on the Versailles are directional. If you install them on the wrong side, they won't cool.

I flipped the drums around and put the lug nuts on and slid it back and forth
to pull the axles out. I took my axles to a machine shop to take of the old
bearing and press on the new ones. I used a PCP pipe to pound in the new axle seals.

I flipped the drums around and put the lug nuts on and slid it back and forth
to pull the axles out. I took my axles to a machine shop to take of the old
bearing and press on the new ones. I used a PCP pipe to pound in the new axle seals.

This axle is set up for disc and I used a slide hammer I rented from my local auto store for free to pull the axles. I do plan to have the bearings removed and pressed by a local shop, I'm just waiting for the new bearings in the mail, thanks for your feedback!