94-95 V6 T-5?

admaster99

Founding Member
Jul 5, 2002
Iowa
I've been wanting to do a t-5 conversion for awhile now and I have came across a v6 t-5 for a good deal and I was wondering will it stand up behind a 302 I know it can handle 260 ft lbs of torque but I guess I was just wanting a second opinion. Seeing as the engine is almost stock I plan on giving her some more power about 300 hp and 300 ft lbs of torque. For that amount of power do you have to reinforce the body at all with subframe connectors? Also I read somewhere that the input shaft is longer then the rads so it would have to be cut down what would I have to do to get it to fit. thanks for the help

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah but in that thread 78cobraII said "
As you can see the 3.8 T-5 has the same input shaft diameter as the 5.0, but a longer length...in fact its nearly a half-inch longer than the RAD input shaft. The question is can it be turned down/shortened?" in the last posted reply whats that all about? Kind of confused hate to be a pest.

The RAD input length is not in that table. The up-to-93 T5 input is approx 1-1.5" shorter than the V8 RAD input. The general take on the 94-95 swap is that a pilot bearing extension sleeve will still be required, but not as long as the earlier trans required. It's been too long since I measured all that stuff to recall the RAD input length, but it was longer than the T5s I had available to me at the time (pre'93 units).

I think Bernie was overwhelmed with info when that post was made. Nobody has ever found a T5 with a longer input than the RAD, as far as I know. All have required a longer than OE bearing sleeve to get proper input pilot engagement.

Shifter location is still going to be an issue. I think mini-console cars are the best candidates, but I guess the long console works for some.