About to reinstall complete drivetrain. loctite where? anything i should know?

dderek

Feb 29, 2004
I just finished removing everything today. driveshaft, tranny, bellhousing, clutch, flywheel. all being replaced with new parts, seals, bearings.
I can get the torque ratings from my haynes manual.
But it doesnt mention anything about loctite, should i use any on anything specific? Red? Blue?

Any ideas how i should hold the flywheel still while i torque it correctly?

I also forgot to check and remember what position the weight side of the flywheel was when i removed it from the back of the engine. Am i screwed now?

anything else i should know, or do?

swapping from a stock drivetrain, to tko 600, FMS aluminum driveshaft, aluminum tko bellhousing, centerforce dual friction clutch, and FMS billet steel flywheel. new throwout bearing, pilot bearing, rear main seal, clutch fork, ford mini starter, ARP bellhousing studs, ARP flywheel bolts, poly tranny mount, and poly crossmember bushings.

Thanks
Derek:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

I've used 2 vise grips to hold the flexplate still - clamp one on the flexplate/flywheel, clamp the second onto the first one and run it thru the starter hole in the block plate. The flywheel will only fit one way, you'll see when you put the bolts back in.

I've always used loctite on any exterior cover that has the potential to leak oil - valve covers, oil pan, trans pan. Clean the bolts & holes with i.e. carb spray and blow dry, or let air dry. Then torque to specs using a dab of loctite (blue) on the bolts. Let them set a little while for the loctite to set up. I can't remember having a leak in over 25 years of doing it that way.

Just did my clutch the other week, too. Only things I removed/re-installed that would necessitate any Loctite were the driveshaft bolts, flywheel bolts, and pressure plate bolts. My rule of thumb: if it spins really fast and even has a remote chance of working itself loose (and thereby causing a catastrophe), I give it a dab of Loctite Blue. I save the Loctite Red for stuff that I hope to God never has to come off ever again. :D

I also have the added joy of reliving the whole experience again this Thursday, because my input shaft seal is leaking AGAIN! Yippeeeee! *does the Not Happy Dance while waving a big hammer and moving towards the 'Stang*