after 5.0 rebuild with nearly 400hp

Pinebluffracer

Jan 25, 2006
Will the T-5 be adequate or should I look to upgrade this too? There is a new Tremco - TKO (i think that is the name) supposedly good for up to 500 hps available, but don't know if I want to invest that right now. However, if I have to do it I will. Thanks for any feedback on this topic. Sorry if It is an old beatup topic.

• Sponsors (?)

I have 1 of the new tko500 and have read from several people that have them that they have a problem going into 3rd gear. I must have gotten lucky because mine shifts great but I also put atleast 500 miles of easy breakin on it. Just a heads up for you to think about.

How did I get high 3s in hp

jjd975 said:
I would like to hear your 400 hp 5.0 build. Thats a lot out of a 302.

About the rebuild... not 400, somewhere near 400. The block is bored and honed. Forged pistons (Probe? - i believe) The pistons are virtually flush with the top of the deck and flat, not dished like stock TRWs. The heads (Trick Flow(TF valve trane) were resurfaced and a three angle valve job was done and new lifters used. An E cam installed. There is a GT40 intake. Free flowing exhaust throughout. One issue is the TB, I think, is stock. I'll have to take another look, but that could be a limiting factor. All the best stuff (rings and bearings) are used in the motor. All racing clearances were used when building this new born.

pinebluff, look at my combo, Im thinkin I should be in the mid 300HP range, my T5Z is holding up fine, it's a daily driver, I think the thing to look at is how much you're actually beating the **** out of the tranny, anything's gonna break after lots of abuse

You're more likely to make around 320-340 hp with that setup, and that might be pushing it depending on your injectors, maf, tb, etc etc.......Your tranny should be completely fine with running that.