AFTER MARKET GAUGES were to install sending units ?

SHAKKER

Jun 26, 2003
I Need Some Info , I Like To Keep My Stock Gauges Hooked Up, But Would Like To Install Some Pro-comp Mechanical Water Temp & Oil Presure Onto The Pillar. I Did Many Install`s Of Sending Units On The Old Big Blocks And Small Blocks .
Lots Of Places On Those Motors . The 4.6 ???? Need Some Help , To See If Possible To Run Both Sets Of Gauges . Dont Trust Factory One`s.

• Sponsors (?)

I just installed ford racing mechanical oil pressure and water temp gauges in my '02.

For the new water temp gauge, you have to drill and tap a new hole in the thermostat housing right beside the factory sending unit. Autometer sells a threaded tube adaptor that is installed in this new hole that will allow you to install the probe from the new water temp gauge. This will allow both the factory dash gauge and the new pillar gauge to both work. Make sure you teflon coat all threads before installing. (you probably know that)

The factory oil pressure sending unit is down on the oil filter bracket. Remove the factory wire connector from the unit and remove the plug. Install a tee connector in this vacant hole and then re-install the factory plug and wires in one hole and the new fitting to the new gauge in the other.

The guys that did mine use the supplied plastic oil lines and fitting and I am in the process of changing them to copper, just to avoid any accidental breaks in the plastic line.

Hope this helps you.

evendal said:
I just installed ford racing mechanical oil pressure and water temp gauges in my '02.

For the new water temp gauge, you have to drill and tap a new hole in the thermostat housing right beside the factory sending unit. Autometer sells a threaded tube adaptor that is installed in this new hole that will allow you to install the probe from the new water temp gauge. This will allow both the factory dash gauge and the new pillar gauge to both work. Make sure you teflon coat all threads before installing. (you probably know that)

The factory oil pressure sending unit is down on the oil filter bracket. Remove the factory wire connector from the unit and remove the plug. Install a tee connector in this vacant hole and then re-install the factory plug and wires in one hole and the new fitting to the new gauge in the other.

The guys that did mine use the supplied plastic oil lines and fitting and I am in the process of changing them to copper, just to avoid any accidental breaks in the plastic line.

Hope this helps you.
I THANKS FOR THE INFO, I WAS THINKING OF GETTING THE FORD STYLE ONE`S ALSO , DID YOU PRICE AROUND ? WHO HAD THE BEST DEAL AND DID YOU GET THE FULL POST POD ? THATS THE ONE I WILL GET INSTEAD OF THE SHORT ONE .

I got the two position full length pod made by autometer. This pod fits right over the existing factory piece and you have to drill and install six plactic screws to hold the two pieces together (plastic screws are provided with pod). A large hole has to be drilled in the bottom of the factory piece to allow the new gauge wires to go through before the are routed through the dash and firewall to the engine. I got some factory interior paint and painted it dark charcoal, the same a the interior prior to installation.

I was going to use autometer gauges but the ford racing ones looked alot better to me. The ford oil pressure was $109 and the water temp was $89 Canadian.

The ford gauges were like $10 or $15 more than the autometer but the appearance of the ford racing gauges was well worth the extra cash in my opinion.

forpit2000gt said:
you can remove a plug on the drivers side of the block just behind the motor mount and connect the mech. water temp. no drilling. it is 1/2 inch. , so you may need an adapter. thats where I connected mine.
This is the only plug I found on my driver side block by the motor mount, therefore is this the plug you speak of? I put my 1/2" adapter up there that came with my gauges and the plug almost looks to be 3/8" :shrug:

Anyways, can you post a pic of where yours is installed?? :)

Attachments

• driverplug.jpg
    driverplug.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 134
DevilSun said:
This is the only plug I found on my driver side block by the motor mount, therefore is this the plug you speak of? I put my 1/2" adapter up there that came with my gauges and the plug almost looks to be 3/8" :shrug:

Anyways, can you post a pic of where yours is installed?? :)

Yup, that's it just below the freeze plug. I put mine there yesterday. Get ready to take a bath when you take that plug out. I forget which adapter I used, but it was one that came with the Autometer gauge so I didn't have to buy it seperately. Also, I used some thread sealant with Teflon instead of tape and it worked well.

WES