alternative to gforce or tremec?

D347643

Banned
Jan 28, 2003
portland, OR
i know that the weak part of the trans is the case but with kits like gforce they dont send you a new case or anything, its all hardened insides. what about getting the mainshaft/cluster shaft and gears hardened? I have heard of people doing it with blocks and internals but never a trans. sounds like a good idea and much cheaper than the alternative. (plus i dont like how tremecs shift) my car will prob be putting out 550 on the bottle and itll be mainly a street car. any opinions?

thanks

Drew

• Sponsors (?)

My Tremec 3550 shifts a smooth as buttered glass. I have had no complaints about the shifting for over 80 k miles. Occasionaly I have to hunt a little for third if I am lazy, but a Steeda or Pro 5.0 shifter would fix that in a flash.

ive talked to a company off the corral that sales gfroce and tremec...he said that the case is not the weak part...they have more problems with tremec cases. I guess the hardened gears and shafts inside make it so strong.

Where can u get things hardened at?

Yeah... Unless you're running a retarded amount of power, the T-5 case is not going to break. The weak points in the T-5 trans is the gears, and power can cause shaft spead.. Which will destroy it. G-forces kit is awesome. Huge gears, awesome main shaft and cluster shaft. If you get all the upgrades G-force offers, you'll break the stock block before you do that trans, unless you don't know how to drive a stick.

yeah i know tremec shift smooth but i really prefer the feel of a t5 over a tremec. ok so the case is not the weak part, i guess i heard wrong. So would hardening the gears and main/cluster shaft help? there are some cryo freezing hardening places around portland. I guess they heat the metal up and then freeze it and somehow the molecules conect to each other better. I am gonna call one of those places and ask details.

thanks

Drew

The treatment process you are refering to is called Cryogenic treatment and it doesn't alter the strength of the parts that are treated all it does is it increases the parts resistance to friction. I had my whole engine block, crank, rods, cam, ect all done on my 5.0 block prior to a full rebuild. What happens in the process is the material molecules imesh each other cuaseing the the material to be more concentrated giveing the part a higher resistance to wear. Cryo treating tranny internals wont amount to much more than a waste of several hundred $$$$$! cryo process costs between $7-$10 a pound and it really adds up! If you want strenght buy a kit wich uses nickle alloy and steel alloy internals which have been heat treated. Nickle alloy is super strong, I work with all the time at my machine shop to make parts for jet engiens!!!