Aluminum Radiators 69-302

j69302

Jan 31, 2006
I'm looking at getting an aluminum radiator. I have a 302 with C4 transmission and currently the transmission cooler lines are hooked into the radiator. The engine has a mild cam, full length headers, and Edelbrock RPM heads and intake. I currently have a repoduction style 4 core bolt in(20") radiator and it stays cool until I get into stop and go on mildy hot days(80-90), And above that it runs pretty hot but never overheated.

I would like to know what aluminum radiators people here are using. If you have the part number and manufacturer that would be great.

I would like to know how they fit. I want one that will bolt right in with little to no modification. I ask this because my current "bolt in direct replacement" was WAY to tall and the cap hit the hood and eventually cracked the filler neck.

I was looking at this Griffin one from summit, not for any particular reason, its just one I cam across. http://store.summitracing.com/defau...eywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp

and also this one, from califnoria mustang - http://store.cal-mustang.com/showdetl-7-7113-19-0.html

I understand some are epoxied and some are welded or brazed. I dont know if the Griffen one above is epoxied or not, but I have heard that the epoxy can soften from the heat and leak.

This car is my daily driver and and the radiator is starting to leak from the core and I appreciate anyones advice and suggestions.

• Sponsors (?)

Mustangs Plus is a good source for aluminum radiators. I always had problems with overheating until I got a Griffin aluminum radiator. Went with s 160* thermostat. Not sure where your located, but there is a guy who is always at Carlisle,PA. and he has aluminum radiators for anything and his prices are very good. That is where I picked mine up. Spring Carlisle is coming. Good luck.

you can upgrade to the much better 24" rad and add a shroud and a clutch fan for less than an aluminum radiator by itself at least one that's made to fit and is good quality anyway. i have a 351w with ac, ps and a higher lift cam and it will idle all day long in 100+ degree heat and never get hot with a 24" copper/brass rad with shroud and clutch fan. just a suggestion. also consider a higher flow water pump as well. IMHO aluminum radiators are a big waste of money for a street car unless you just want the extra "Bling" factor or the measly weight savings. though any weight saving off the front of a stang is good, in a street car there are better places to spend your money.

you can upgrade to the much better 24" rad and add a shroud and a clutch fan for less than an aluminum radiator by itself at least one that's made to fit and is good quality anyway. i have a 351w with ac, ps and a higher lift cam and it will idle all day long in 100+ degree heat and never get hot with a 24" copper/brass rad with shroud and clutch fan. just a suggestion. also consider a higher flow water pump as well. IMHO aluminum radiators are a big waste of money for a street car unless you just want the extra "Bling" factor or the measly weight savings. though any weight saving off the front of a stang is good, in a street car there are better places to spend your money.

Good advice. I run a 24" wide (4 row) 67/68 SB copper radiator with my 393 and have no cooling issues in the hottest of weather even during hard runs and lots of idling. None, nada.
I did have some overheating before when I had a 20" wide 2 row one.

My only other cooling mod is a clutch fan. I originally was going to spring for a shroud, but found that it is not needed with my combo.

I personally like the stock look of the copper radiator, but I am a sleeper kind of guy. . . . . .