Paint and Body Any non oil resistant parts in engine bay?

dqureshi06

Mar 25, 2024
Virginia
So I wanted to take all possible measures to rust proof my 1989 mustang. I wanted to spray fluid film on the structural parts as much as I can do I'll spray around the struts etc in the engine bay. I just wanted to know if there were any hoses or wires that are NOT oil resistant. I obviously know not to spray on any exhaust parts.

• Sponsors (?)

Technically oil is flammable, so really be careful where you spray it to prevent it from getting hot and igniting.

For the most part most of the equipment in the bay should be oil resistance as part of speccing the proper vac lines and such. ANy post-production replacement however might not be proper spec. For instance vacuum lines. I can't think of anything that would break down with oil though. If anything, engine bays are put together with the thought of oil leaks occuring at some point and just coating everything. For the most part I would not spray the engine directly and just do the fender aprons. First start, i'd let it idle up to temp and let the oil in contact i with hot parts burn off and stand by with a fire extinguisher.

Reactions: 1 user
They're not hoses or wires like you mentioned, but some types of rubber will break down under constant oil exposure. Don't know if they are made of the type of rubber that is adversely affected by oil, but a few underhood pieces that come to mind are strut mount isolators, sway bar bushings and motor mounts.

Reactions: 1 user