Anyone drive their fox body year round?

Mintsick

10 Year Member
Jan 6, 2007
West Lafayette, IN
Hello this is my first thread, been looking around a couple different mustang forums for a few weeks as I am looking to get myself into an 87-93 lx sometime soon. I live in Massachusetts and currently drive a 2000 s10 4.3/5spd 2wd with a few engine mods year round with a set of snow tires, never had any issues but I am wondering if anyone drives their mustang year round where bad weather is common during the winter months? I'd assume that a mustang may even handle a bit better in the snow due to having a lot better weight distribution compared to the light pickup rear but just wanted to hear from some guys that actually do drive their car year round. Obviously I wouldn't be venturing out in anything major as I wouldn't in the truck now, but seeing snow will be a guarantee at some point.

• Sponsors (?)

the first time i see ice on the ground. whenever its a threat to spin out. like if we have freezing rain, hail, snow, etc. i dont take risks. but because its been so warm i see no reason to park it. the second that frosts in the morning and water starts freezing ill park it. i jus love how this winter is going.

WEll, here in NC Ive driven a 4banger notch in the fresh snow, and that sucked. I can only imagine what the torque from a 5.0 in low gears would be like. The rear ends on notches are SUPER light. The hatches add a little more wight, so I assume they are better. I'm betting that if you put skinnies on all four corners, and you can find some deep tread tires to fit em, the car will handle alot better in the snow. The only draw back is the tires will be shorter, so in deep snow, you'd be screwed. I have driven my old 01 GT in snow and ice to work. It wasnt fun, and I'd rather not have to do it again, but it was alot better thatn that notch. Every time I let pushed in the clutch pedal going from 1st to 2nd and back to try and avoid the brake, my rear end would start to sing out to the left. At one point I actually drifted into the oncomming lane. I had to kind of jerk the steering wheel in short jerks(not sure how to word the exact motion) to edge it back over .

As I expected deep snow or anything major I probably wouldn't even bother attempting it as I have other ways to get to work if need be. Seems like with the proper sized tires for the winter I'd be in about the same position I am in with the truck currently. Thanks guys.

I drive mine year around. I have been stuck in snow a few times.

93_12232004.jpg

I drove mine last winter with 3.73's and bald Firestones.

It was pretty retarded... I could barely even get out of my level driveway...
I didnt even get it out of my driveway before I just gave up. Oh and we only had 1" of snow.nd

I do know a guy who bought a set of snow tires for his stang and it seems to work out for him. Id just be worried about no ABS and the horrible weight distribution...

the 2 times ive wacked curbs do to it being winter and too cold was because of black ice, and a lil snow and the horrible non abs full lock up or nothing at all brakes the fox body comes with. worst stock braking system ever. Makes my jeep cherokee feel like it stops like a porsche.

I daily drive mine year round unless snow gets heavy or bad ice. Winter been very mild so far this year and my winters are not what I would call severe in southeastern Illinois. Mine doesn't have as many horses as most :( , but I could see problems with trying a 5.0 in snow making it worse. I used to put a tool box in the hatch with cinder blocks in it before I got my speaker box for extra weight on rear wheels.

It doesn't take much to lose the rear end in the snow, or any slick conditions for that matter, in a fox body. I've seen people put sand bags in the trunk for added weight. In the end, even with some good winter tires, your traction will always suck, especially if you've got a high hp motor. I'd advise against driving in slick conditions. You're better off buying a beater for a couple hundred bucks, even if it only gets you through one season. Mustang + snow = fun in an empty parking lot.

I don't think i would.....even though i love driving my car, it would take away some of the spark i get when i drive it. I'm already bored with it's performance so that would get even worse.

If you had something else to drive, you might not drive the Mustang in bad weather as you can slide around a lot in rain if you're not used to driving or you're being stupid. That said, I've driven my 5.0 through 2 or 3 winters because my old 94 grand cherokee 4x4 always seemed to have something wrong w/ it during the winter.

If you have to drive the Mustang, take it to a parking lot when it's snowy/icy out and spend some time practicing starting, stopping, turning, etc. Take it slow, obviously. These cars WILL slide around a lot. Snow tires may help. I can't see why someone would put skinnies all around as someone mentioned. More tread usually helps traction.

*If you don't have to drive it, don't.
*Learn to drive the car well in good weather first
*Practice in a parking lot
*Go slow & pay attention (I always turn my radio off or at least down low if driving in bad conditions)
*If in a standard, keep it in a gear so you're doing around 1500 rpm (so you don't make much torque and reduce the chance of spinning out.)