AOD to 5 Speed Conversion

tboshearz

Feb 2, 2004
I hesitate to ask this... but I searched and couldnt really find any numbers...

There's a 91 GT Hatch I have been looking at to buy... The only thing that has stopped me is because it is an automatic.... Because of how well maintained the body and paint are... I'm almost considering just buying it and saving up my pennies until I have enough for a t-5 swap... which brings me to my question... about how much will I be expecting for a swap? Keep in my I Have no 5 speed tranny... I know people have done this and it is quite common... so how much am I lookin at here?

Thanks, Tyler

• Sponsors (?)

Well look on ebay or local classifieds and get a trannie for a few hundred, new clutch set (150 or so)...,clutch pedal assembly (check ebay or salvage)...less than a hundred maybe...etc.

Probably no more than 700-800 dollars depending on what kind of trans, clutch, etc...it could be less than that or more than that...just depends on how much you want to spend or the availability of parts in your area....

If the car is in good shape get it...there isn't nothing wrong with an auto and you can always switch it out like you stated later...

Good Luck
David

tboshearz said:
does that include labor tho??? How much would a shop usually charge for a job like this?

You could do it yourself if you are in any way mechanically inclined...mine used to be an auto...

I think the hardest part is putting in the clutch pedal assembly because of the lack of room...if that tells you anything...

Basically you take off the hpipe, unhook a couple wires, take off driveshaft(can be a pain), unbolt trans and bellhousing or do it together, pull out torque convertor....

Then put on clutch, new trannie (you might want to go ahead and get a good shifter like a Pro 5.0 or Triax) and basically after that installation is reverse.

A shope might charge you 500 buck for it...maybe more maybe less...I don't know basically did it myself...

Good Luck,
David

The price will determine on what sort of tranny you want...if you plan on keeping the car stock or mildely modfied the T-5 will handle the power...however, if you plan on modding the car you may consider getting a better tranny...with that you will need a bell hausing etc, etc...it cost me about $2000 but that was with labor done by an aqueintance and a Tremec tranny along with the rest of the stuff...The hardest thing that he said was putting the pedal assembly...the rest wasn't that bad.

Definitely do it yourself. I called 15 shops or more when I was undecided on if I wanted to do my swap, and only 2 said they'd even touch it, and it'd be well over $500. I paid $15 for my clutch pedal assembly at the JY, and the experience gained pulling it out helped me a lot when I put it into my car. Took about 2.5 hrs to pull it, and about 5 to put it in mine. If you can get access to a lift and air tools, you will be a happy man...my buddy is a VW tech so he had all that stuff, and I couldn't've done it without him. I'm into my swap for $300, but it's 2.3 so stuff costs less. Scour eBay for deals, and always look at the junkyard. I got a NIB Carquest clutch kit for $60 off eBay, you just gotta look. Here's a great site with pics - it's mostly 2.3-oriented, but it should help you out. http://projecthp.ford23.com/howto.html Good luck! :nice:

Ash

Oh, and get an adjustable clutch quadrant and firewall kit. Even if the stock stuff on the pedal assembly is intact, you do NOT want to replace it when it's in the car. Do the quadrant while the pedals are out and accessible....if you ever end up doing it when it's in the car, you will know why I stress this point.

Ash

Asha'man said:
Oh, and get an adjustable clutch quadrant and firewall kit. Even if the stock stuff on the pedal assembly is intact, you do NOT want to replace it when it's in the car. Do the quadrant while the pedals are out and accessible....if you ever end up doing it when it's in the car, you will know why I stress this point.

Ash

Yeah...UPR makes a good ADJ Quadrant and firewall kit...