Auto Guys...how Happy Are U With The Ride.

big T

Feb 25, 2004
Hawaii, oahu
My friend just bought a 04/auto mach-1/blk for 24k with 4,000 miles and stock. He was driving a 98 jeep cherokee and already complaining about his mach-auto trans not feeling right. He's driven my car several times and asks why my car feels faster than his, since its a mach, and why his cars shifts like crap. I told him, as he already knew, of the mods I have and told hm if he did the same, he'd have a mid-low 12 second car. He says "yeah right, no f-ing way with this trans"!
I raced him once to a 100 and he was about 3-4 cars behind me and that pis__d him off even more. We share the same friends, some of which have modded GT's, SS's, and Mach-1's. Weve all told him what to due to his car and he says its a mach, it should be hella fast. I just laugh at him and tell him that he went from a jeep to a mach, theres gotta be a big difference. Anyway, dude's complaining about his trans, but according to him, it was what he "wanted". :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

03gtmustang said:
Tell him a stock mach isnt going to run low 13.1's like you are. Also tell him to drop in a tranny cooler, converter, and do the j mod. See how he likes that tranny after that.
Weve all told him what to do and to just be happy that he has a mach-1. I even told him that id trade my car for his and he just laughed at me. He's just not use to stangs, nor knows what to do to them....Wish I had that mach and it would be in the 11's with some simple mods...

You can tell him I'm very happy with my automatic ride. As the guys above suggested, a transmission cooler, torque converter, jerry mod shift kit/ performance valve body, gears and a custom program will make a night and day difference in that Mach 1. Since he's got a 32v 4 camshaft setup with an automatic, I'de go no less than 4.30's if he's staying n/a. If it were me, I'de probably have 4.56 gears in there.:D

I don't think it is just the auto that is bugging him. He is probably used to the low end torque that you would see in a Jeep. Keep in mind that modular motors need to be revved in order to get into their power bands and he is probably not used to that. Guys coming from 5.0 Mustangs tend to make the same sort of complaints when they get into a modular Mustang.

its the gears , cars actually have about the same amount of torque , his power range is higher in his RPM range than yours though , there for under normal driving with 4.10s yours is gonna feel alot faster ....he just needs to mod his a little , it will respond to mods better than a GT .......

Dark Knight GT said:
You can tell him I'm very happy with my automatic ride. As the guys above suggested, a transmission cooler, torque converter, jerry mod shift kit/ performance valve body, gears and a custom program will make a night and day difference in that Mach 1. Since he's got a 32v 4 camshaft setup with an automatic, I'de go no less than 4.30's if he's staying n/a. If it were me, I'de probably have 4.56 gears in there.:D
U have similar mods to what I have, except for the long tubes/pulleys, whats your best 1/4 time. Uv gotta be in the high 12's from whats in your sig. I love my auto as well, more so after modding it.

jimfitzgerald said:
I have no complaints. :banana: Tell him to get with the program. Decide what he wants, make a plan, and let the mods begin. :nice:
Everytime I read your sig, I look at my car and sigh. Im satisfied with it, but your car is the real deal for us 2v/GT drivers to dream of. I wish I could drive it just once, just once...haha :nice:

MyEarsHurt said:
I hate my auto, but I just got a shift kit for it, and ill be installing it soon, so hopefully that will help. Oh how I wish it was a 5 speed...
A shift kit will damage your tranny. Do the Jerry mod or get a valve body from Performance Automatic or Lentec.

rjstaaf said:
I don't think it is just the auto that is bugging him. He is probably used to the low end torque that you would see in a Jeep.

more like the gearing. the Jeep's have some steep gearing. especially 1st. my coworkers is at like 3000rpm at 15mph.