AWD fox?

88GtQt

Apr 4, 2004
Suffolk
first please take me seriously even tho i'm on my girls name....i was curious about merging a bronco 2 frame and drive train setup with a fox body prolly a vert.... just looking for some serious thought ...kinda like brin storm the problems, and stuff before i go and put money into this venture...thx guys

• Sponsors (?)

Are you wanting to build a truck type thing or just AWD for racing? The Ranger/Bronco frame would be fine for a truck build, but it would suck for racing with the solid front axle.

What would just be SICK is to build a tube chassis Fox and put a Porsche AWD system underneath with any typical 5.0 stroker or whatever up front.

no it would be for street racing type not really a every weekend racer or anything i know the foxes have a lot of power i have 2 and i just like how the awd hadles over rear wheel drive, i drag race and all but i dont wanna be a slouch in the corners, i hadnet even thought about the solid axle so what else would be better than using a bronco 2 swetup is that older bronco a solid front axle? this is not to be a truck at all...lol never just something to have fun in and awd fox is so different, i've ben rolling this idea around for a while...any more comments?

the aston martins used in the last bond movie (die another day) were converted to awd with carbed 302s in them, i know its a diff platform but if you could find out what they used that might help... i think i read about it in an issue of car & driver :shrug: if anyone has that issue lieing around they might be able to find out...

88GtQt said:
no it would be for street racing type not really a every weekend racer or anything i know the foxes have a lot of power i have 2 and i just like how the awd hadles over rear wheel drive, i drag race and all but i dont wanna be a slouch in the corners, i hadnet even thought about the solid axle so what else would be better than using a bronco 2 swetup is that older bronco a solid front axle? this is not to be a truck at all...lol never just something to have fun in and awd fox is so different, i've ben rolling this idea around for a while...any more comments?

Every now and then this idea comes up and usually the general concensus is that it either would not work, or would require so much fabrication that the only thing still Fox body about it would be the sheetmetal. Since you would be basing it off a truck driveline, it would handle like one too. Since you want more cornering, you would be better off upgrading the Fox suspension for road racing. It will be less expensive and alot more effective.

Well I can tell you. Sure AWD is nice because of the traction issues. But all of the high speed events I go to are all won by modified Vettes, and this one Mustang. There are Porsches and STi's and WRX's and the like, and they don't even come close, I'm talking like 10 seconds behind in time. So AWD does not win all of the time, and it comes down to the driver too. If you suck at driving, AWD will not be as much of a help as you would think. Take a look at this stang. This guy kicks almost everyones ass all of the time except this one Vette that won the Cannonball run. RWD+good driver+sticky autocross slicks+perfectly tuned suspension=better than any AWD car.

View attachment 524991

View attachment 524992

View attachment 524993

View attachment 524994

not the same car, but I love this avatar.

Man...those wide rims look so bada$$. :hail2:

Kinda like this one.
post-3-1074033052.jpg

Sorry for getting off topic, but this is the sweetest looking car ever IMO. :nice:

Attachments

• post-3-1074033052.jpg
    post-3-1074033052.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 127
As mentioned above this topic comes up once in a blue moon. I even actually asked the same question a couple of months back and just about everyone said it was a no go :nonono: I was thinking of using a Jaguar (Ford) X-Type base with a 302 powerplant :shrug:

iwashmycar said:
Man...those wide rims look so bada$$. :hail2:

Kinda like this one.
post-3-1074033052.jpg

Sorry for getting off topic, but this is the sweetest looking car ever IMO. :nice:

Oh man you said it. I've had that as my desktop for about a year now...lol The only thing that would make that better is if it were a coupe. :drool:

Attachments

• post-3-1074033052.jpg
    post-3-1074033052.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,186
I also think sometimes that I would love for my mustang to be AWD. Not for track racing,but for street racing (let's not start talking about street racing how it's wrong/right or whatnot :) ). I just thought it would be really cool to be able to drop the clutch at 4500rpm's or so on the street and not sit there spinning all day long. I know mustang suspensions can be done up so it feels like they're riding on rails, but I don't really care about turning speed. I want the type of pull on my car that makes your kidneys feel like they're coming out of your back :nice: , and with the power these 302's can make + AWD.... well let's just say it would be a site to see.

So a newer explorer chassis eh? Let's keep on topic, anybody else have any options or good ideas about this?