Axle play??? Why me??? 1 project turns to 3!

txjason1

Jan 6, 2009
SN95, 1995 GTS.
new rotors and rear calipers, now rotor is rubbing caliper bracket.
Did not replace caliper brackets, but I notice excessive play on both axles...in and out not up and down.
Is that c clips?
will replacing them and seals fix me up?
If not gimme a clue!
Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I would open the rear end to see what is going on. If the retaining shaft and C clips are all in good shape you should have no in/out play on the axle. SO pop the cover and check it out then report back.

ok opened up the rear and the posi unit clutches are worn out. that allows axle in and out play. now my question changes, anyone have exp. with mini spools? would they be cool on the street? My car is not a daily driver, but I do want to be able to drive in rain and around corners.

also anyone have an Auburn ected?

any info would help!
thanks!

Every Mustang I have ever owned did this, with the rotors off that is. There is going to be a little play no matter what you do. The only thing keeping them from going all the way in is the pin that goes through the differential! I say it's normal. If you need clutches replaced that's another matter and if your axle seals are leaking, change them and the bearings at the same time, but it's not gonna stop the in and out play!

Don't waste your money on a mini-spool. If you are going to put the effort in to change it to a spool, just use a regular one. The mini spools break pretty easy.

Kurt