base timing less than 10*???

mikenstang

May 12, 2003
CT
Does anyone run their base timing at less than 10* W/ (spout out). I have been slowley retarding it to get rid of ping problem but I didn't wnat to go less than 10. Also how many of you are running the timing locked at 25-30 and removing the spout. What is the better option???

• Sponsors (?)

I ran 8 for awhile but I have a blower on my car. If you are NA take it up to 20-24 or mor if you can handle it w/o ping. I know peeps running 30-31 for locked and are very happy but I think you should start @ 20 first and see if you ping.

94whitesnake said:
damn, did you guys look at your balancers lately? Maybe the outer ring spun a bit causing the degree marks to be off.
JR does it cuz of the blower (i would presume).

often, carbon and other crud builds up on the chambers, artificially raising compression. so guys have to run lower base timing. do whatever it takes. JR, i cant remember, did you try a retard controller? did it work (i thought you had)?

from what i gather with you guys, the locked out timing works. (fox guys dont have the same issues as bad, so the only ones running locked out are some blown guys).

good luck.

Yeah man I had a BTM and it failed on me at the track and I was pissed. I went out and got a boost a spark and sold the btm before sending it back to MSD. I have been running locked timing since then. I was going to get another one in a few weeks but I am am installing a KB on my car now and think I will keep the boost a spark. I am prob going to finally run a chip on my car with this KB if the tune is all funky and it runs bad but I don't suspect any problems b/c I'm adding a methanol kit also. :D

94SC50 said:
Yeah man I had a BTM and it failed on me at the track and I was pissed. I went out and got a boost a spark and sold the btm before sending it back to MSD. I have been running locked timing since then. I was going to get another one in a few weeks but I am am installing a KB on my car now and think I will keep the boost a spark. I am prob going to finally run a chip on my car with this KB if the tune is all funky and it runs bad but I don't suspect any problems b/c I'm adding a methanol kit also. :D
that sucks - that it failed. i can see why you run locked out.

as for the upgrades, well, it must be nice! :nice:
good luck.

Thanks for the info guys... I will try to bring it down to 8-9* to see if the ping goes away. It does start popping a little around 9* but it may be a trade off. I know it isn't carbon cause I just put the eng together a few months ago. I do have the heads milled to 58cc chambers so the compression is a little higher but Jeez I can make it ping anytime I want. I just go one gear higher and put WOT and PING-a-Ding-ding...Or anything at full eng temp (190 or so )and WOT under 2500RPM and it will ping. It's OK when cold.

I am looking into a Tweecer in a few months anyway (No cash right now) :mad: I still have some driveability issues with idle and stalls but not too bad...It just isn't perfect. :nice:

with the smaller chambers, id recommend higher octane fuel. that might be a trade off you have to live with with the tighter chambers.
if that does not do it, i would heed JR's advice and run locked out - even if just to try it. you really dont want any detonation on your new set up!. good luck.