best open track/road tyres for 65/66

carpunk

May 1, 2010
not the usual wheel and tyre question.
can somebody tell me the best wheel/tyre size/type for a lowered street car used for open track and road course. not for looks but for best handling best grip etc
tried searching but just found threads on tallest widest etc

• Sponsors (?)

Im doing a 66 track car/street car and it looks like to me the back end is pretty limited tire wise on how much room ther is without modifying the underside for larger tires.American Muscle one of our forum sponsers has great deals on in expensive modern wheels.The problems are making them fit the early suspensions.American raing does some nice offsets that im looking at for the front to clear the UCA and fender.Track tire/street tire hhmm well I will say it like this I run U.S. products when the availible.So that limits me on selection.Hoosier is the brand that has preformed flawlessly for me and brought home plenty of trophies on track. Im biulding for a 315/30/18 in the rear and a 245/30 17 in front.
These are what im planning for the Mustang also.
View attachment 218838

What tire size are you looking for? 14", 15", 17" that will limit or add to the selection. Don't have any first hand experience with any yet but plan to OTR, autoX, etc. when my car is done so I read the track discussions when I see them.

Some of the top names/tires mentioned are: BFG R1's, Nitto NT01, 05R, Kumho's. Are you planning to just drive the car to the track or does it have to be a street tire that can handle occassional rain/dry, etc. The better the tire is for the OTR the faster it will wear on the street and slip in the rain so it's going to be a compromise either way. I would start on tirerack.com with your size and see who makes an ultra hp tire in your size first then narrow it down by reviews from there and road and track, then ask for opinions on 2 or 3 specific tires.
Jon

Also, have you modified your front or rear suspension at all?

If you have a stock type front suspension the most tire you'll get up front is a 225 maybe 235 if you are lucky. So knowing that, I'd then want as small an aspect ratio as I could get...45 would be great - which means you need a 17 inch rim for a decent tire height.

There are lots of great tires in these sizes - and there are as many opinions on them as there are drivers; I'd recommend spending some time on SCCA forums, lot of good racers there.

Just make sure that if you are open tracking (and you want to get some life out of the tires) be sure to get a tire that can handle the heat. This will be a very different tire from an autox or high performance street tire.

Good luck...

ok il try to narrow it down.

my limited experience playing with tyres is that on a road at least its not allways wides is best iv found theres a point where wider is worse and will skip about,slide in wet and aquaplane easier.

i was thinking 15s as i have a set of a.r.e 7x15 tto wheels and its period but i also a set of 7 or could be:shrug: 8x16 tt2 not sure what would be best im also not against buying a different size if need be?

if it WERE about looks tbh i wouldnt want very low profile wheels as im not into the ,,hotwheels,, or donk:rlaugh: look. i also am not that keen on the feel of very low profile hard ride etc

as far as front suspension it will most likley be 2.5 coilovers when i work out cheapest diy non kit way??? and the ccp lower or full u/l arm kit.
rear will most likley be std lowered on bilstiens/spax adjustables and a trac loc. trying to build a more period restomod type curcuit/road car that really digs in 80% twisty road/street 20% twisty track

Your first post indicated that you wanted the best wheel and tire combo for handling. Your second post seems to indicate that you really want a compromise between looks, handling, and ride quality.

If you want all out handling, I stand by my first post. If you want a compromise, I would go with the 16 inch wheels and some 225 50s or 55s in a high performance street tire like Jon recommended.

I would not use the 15 inch wheels because you will be very limited in your selection of good tires. Ask me how I know.

Good luck...

thanks guys

phutch yes your right i should have been more exact in my first post i am more interested in handling oiver looks but guess i never expected
classic racers to be using 16-17-18 wheels and super low profiles and if 22s were the best choice i wouldnt use them! so let me put it another way

what do the classic race car series use?.are they allowed such big wheels? here in england you can easily get half road half track tyres in all sizes from 10 through to huge sizes it suprises me its a struggle in usa?
but if were talking looks i want the period racer look not a compton donk mobile! or hot wheels, fast n furious wannabe bs!

Goodyear makes a tire called the Billboard thats what many original racing type people use for the Cobras.Mustangs have several choices in a larger profile tire.But room is always a consideration when not flaring fenders and so forth.

iv been looking online at 65/66 race cars allthough i havent found actual brands/sizes or info i want etc they nearly ALL seem to run 15s???:scratch:

It probably depends on what race series they're running (nostalgia, classic, factory, etc.) and the rules, many regs. limit them to the largest wheel available at time of production which was 15". Also if they're doing 1/4mi. 15" is better than 17", just look at the new CobraJet = 15" rear tires!

DBPhoto.jpg

mustcobrajet_2.jpg

It does seem that whenever a tire co. offers a good 15" tire they're always on backorder or out of stock in the states...
Jon