Best place for oil temperature sender?

Acheron315

Oct 23, 2003
Charleston, SC
Is there any place to get an accurate reading for oil temperature? I have it in the near where the factory oil pressure sender is, but it does not see enough flow to be accurate. Does anyone know if there is a better place?

Ideally I would want to tap into the oil pan, but I really want to avoid any tapping or drilling.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Is there any place to get an accurate reading for oil temperature? I have it in the near where the factory oil pressure sender is, but it does not see enough flow to be accurate. Does anyone know if there is a better place?

Ideally I would want to tap into the oil pan, but I really want to avoid any tapping or drilling.

Thanks!

There should be a factory drilled and tapped hole with a steel plug located somewhere on your oil filter elbow just down stream of the filter you could use. I think it was probably cast just for that purpose. I used it in order to pump the oil into my engine to pre-prime the system before I started it for the first time.

Yeah I think we are talking about the same spot. It doesn't see enough flow there for proper temperature readings because it is a blind passage vs. one that oil flows through. I could be wrong though.

I added a cobra oil cooler to my car, so there may be a slight difference.

Why not find yourself a small section of pipe, drill and tap it for the sensor and add it in-line to the line going to the inlet side of your cooler as close to the engine as you're able. That should be an area that's seeing plenty of flow.