Best Spark Plugs for 4.6

RandyStinchcomb said:
because Ford put in a sparkplug for normal driving conditions. problem is, I dont know anyone who drives a Mustang NORMAL :rlaugh: we are all hard on the throttle, banggin' off the rev-liniter, doing mods. so IMHO, the heat range should be 1 step colder than Fords recommendations, but thats me:D

troof :D what are the effects on power, gas mileage and plug longevity w/ running a step colder plug?

• Sponsors (?)

stangGT97 said:
troof :D what are the effects on power, gas mileage and plug longevity w/ running a step colder plug?

varies wth driving style. if I had to give you an answewr, I'd say no ill effects from 1 step down vs stock heat range. when mine was still a street car, I ran 2 steps down from stock, N/A and on the spray. I would have a set gapped at .045 to .048 for the street and N/A and at the track, a set gapped at .040 for the track wth Nytrous

RandyStinchcomb said:
varies wth driving style. if I had to give you an answewr, I'd say no ill effects from 1 step down vs stock heat range. when mine was still a street car, I ran 2 steps down from stock, N/A and on the spray. I would have a set gapped at .045 to .048 for the street and N/A and at the track, a set gapped at .040 for the track wth Nytrous

so there is a different gap required for colder plugs, or is that just w/ extensive mods? as you can see from my sig, my modlist is fairly light

RandyStinchcomb said:
because Ford put in a sparkplug for normal driving conditions. problem is, I dont know anyone who drives a Mustang NORMAL :rlaugh: we are all hard on the throttle, banggin' off the rev-liniter, doing mods. so IMHO, the heat range should be 1 step colder than Fords recommendations, but thats me:D

so would you say that i should change mine out, right now im running NGKtr55IX's but have a set of NGK tr6's 1 range colder gapped at .035 (bought them for a supercharger) would they help me out a bit?

stangGT97 said:
so there is a different gap required for colder plugs, or is that just w/ extensive mods? as you can see from my sig, my modlist is fairly light

on a power adder there is but on my N/A appts, I ran a tighter gap due to the fact that my car only saw 4k to 6k most of the time and I didn't want any problems associated wth too wide of a gap and ignition coil saturation time.

also the copper core plugs wear down quicker than platts and a tighter gap, which will open-up over time(due to wear), requires you to check and re-gap less offten, thus avoiding the dreaded tearing-up of the threads in the head from repeated removal & installation of plugs in the aluminum head

RandyStinchcomb said:
on a power adder there is but on my N/A appts, I ran a tighter gap due to the fact that my car only saw 4k to 6k most of the time and I didn't want any problems associated wth too wide of a gap and ignition coil saturation time.

also the copper core plugs wear down quicker than platts and a tighter gap, which will open-up over time(due to wear), requires you to check and re-gap less offten, thus avoiding the dreaded tearing-up of the threads in the head from repeated removal & installation of plugs in the aluminum head

wealth of knowledge :hail2:

I see what you're saying... if I switched from Motorcraft plats @ 0.054" to the AGSF-22C @ about 0.048", would I even notice a different how the car ran? They're cheap enough, I'd try it out if you thought it would be worth the 1/2 hour of my time to change them. I do have a sort of upgraded ignition, accel coil packs + new motorcraft wires

RandyStinchcomb said:
you should not notice any difference in performance around town under normal driving wth the 22C's and a slightly tighter gap

now, you wanna' talk about indexing the plugs, to gain a little more:p

haha, yeah... I made a cardboard sheet for plug indexing then never used it. Someday I will, someday...

Would using those plugs make any difference @ all at WOT? sorry for all the questions :doh: hey at least it is related to sparkplugs lol