Best way to go on brakes?

MoatesGarage

May 11, 2004
Well, it's about time to put a set of brakes on my 01 GT. I've looked at the SS brake kits, and Raybestos kits. Does anybody know...short of spending $1500 on a Cobra upgrade...what is the best route to go? Is it better to have slotted rotors front and rear? Do the dustless ceramic pads really not stop as well?

• Sponsors (?)

MoatesGarage said:
Well, it's about time to put a set of brakes on my 01 GT. I've looked at the SS brake kits, and Raybestos kits. Does anybody know...short of spending $1500 on a Cobra upgrade...what is the best route to go? Is it better to have slotted rotors front and rear? Do the dustless ceramic pads really not stop as well?

Now, I have been out of the loop with the mustang stuff for a while, but why on earth is a Cobra upgrade $1500?

I went to Brakesrus.com (beleive that was the site) and got the 13" Cobra rotors, calipers and pads for under $400 when I had my 95 GT. :shrug:

i did the bullit upgrade on the front (same as cobra) and went with some cross drilled slotted rotors and man let me tell you, the diff is night and day! once i get the $$$ i'm going to do the rear's. but its definitly worth it! just get the right stuff! and make sure you get zinc plated rotors, otherwise they will start to rust and it looks like @$$.

cross drill and slot are for looks. I don't belive that the newer pads outgass enough to need slots.

leave you rears alone technology wise unless you just like to spend money or if actually track the car a bunch.

the think that sucks about the cobra rear upgrade mainly all you get is a vented rotor and it is not cheap because of all the stuff involed. if you want it to look cooler just get a flashy rotor and poder coated calipure.

If you want supperior one stop performance spend the money up front. the only economical choice in the cobra upgrade.

there are quite a few flavors of the 1k price range. I have not see much data on performance on any of these kits.

then there are the baer and roush $2200 kits that actaully have awesome perfromance but the price tag just kills you. the litereally take like 20ft off your 60-0 from what I have seen though. they did a roush kit on that project nightmare on horsepower tv and the difference was impressive but the cost is crazy.

if you are not "looks" oriented with the brakes just piece together a mach1/cobra/bullitt swap as cheap as possible.

If you feel the need to drop the 1k I would proably do the brembo kit as they have a bigger racing background. Better than sbc and others.

I am in the same boat as you right now... With my tax return I am doing routine maintenance with the exception of my Cat back and just went and priced out brakes. Its like $80.00 for just the pads, then you have to get the rotors turned and thats probably like $30-40 so by the time your there you are almost at 50% of the cost of a cobra/bullit upgrade kit. I have had a both a bullitt and a cobra and let me tell you the braking system is significantly better than the stock GT. I will be ordering a bullitt upgrade hit here pretty quick...

You're a moron (just kidding).

There is a HUGE difference between the GT and Bullitt brakes. Bullitt brakes have 13" rotors and utilize a 2-piston caliber. The GT front rotors are 11.5" (I think) and a single piston caliper. Perhaps you misheard.

There is no difference between the Cobra, Bullitt and Mach 1 $400.00 kits other than the caliper color.

Okay, just to confirm I called Steeda again and he said not to go with a Bullitt upgrade because it is the same as the GT brakes, just a nice red color. He did say the Cobra brakes were different so I'm not a total moron, just a partial one.

The only reason I have ever bothered to upgrade rear brakes before, was because of how dinky the rotors looked behind 18" wheels. It looked infinitely better afterwards, but the new cost of replacement parts went drastically up, and the whole cost of conversion was a bit nuts. I'd say the next brake job on that car will cost about $300 more than stock.

Also remember, you have to check out the proportioning valve, when messing with new brake sizes. Of course bigger rotor systems will feel better, on an otherwise stock system, because it's applying the stock ammount of pressure. The O.E. brake systems are complex systems, designed just for the vehicles they are installed in. When you go changing out calipers, etc. you need to adjust a few other things to get maximum performance and safety from your new setup. In all honesty, I'd rather install a blower, instead of modifying brake systems, because of all that is involved, and all that you could be risking. That's just my two bucks. Two cent's worth would have been a few sentences :)

MoatesGarage said:
Not to sound like a moron, but I'm pretty sure I called Steeda and they told me other than the calipers (painted red) there was no difference in the GT and Bullitt brakes. Is that true?
You'd better call him back and school him on the difference between the two, because he's dead wrong!!!

I think he's just selling what he has rather than answering the question honestly. I'm not saying that's right, but that happens a lot in mail order. Just don't every ask Edelbrock a tech question. I think those guys just make up something that sounds good to them. Nevermind I could get a better answer if I asked the kid at the burger king drive through.

Thanks for the help guys.