Boss302 Torque vs. GT

willie2323

Jun 21, 2010
Greetings All,
I am not sure the Ford website is correct but it is reporting less torque (380 lb.-ft) in the Boss 302 than the standard GT (390 lb.-ft)? I dont know about other potential Boss purchaser's but I sure want better quarter mile times in the Boss stang than the GT for the additional 10K+ of cost...what am I missing?

Comments?

thanx All,

Bill

• Sponsors (?)

The Boss isn't optimized for quarter mile performance. Its primary goal is to be an awesome track machine. The intake has shorter runners and the heads have been worked to sustain higher RPMs (along with supporting internal mods). While horsepower is up, if you look at the curves (comparing the GT and the Boss), the peak power comes on later (the Boss starts pulling away above 4500 rpm) - an area that can really be used on the track.

Whether the Boss is actually down 10 ft.-lbs. peak torque is even actually being debated.

Regardless, I would still expect the Boss to put down better quarter mile times than a GT...but that difference would be magnified on a road course where the Boss would have a much clearer advantage.

It's all about average power put to the ground. any little bit of tire spin = power NOT put to the ground. Thats why slicks go faster at the track. Much faster. That 10lb feet will get over shadowed a lot by stock tires and less than maximally efficient power transfer. Less complicated answer is don't sweat it, doesn't matter much.