Bumpsteer Kit or Ball Joints or Both or Neither

brtnstrns

Dec 19, 2003
Lewisville, TX
I'm going to start buying my suspension set-up in the next week or so and was wondering if (with H&R Super Sports, C/C plates) the general recommendation is to go ahead and get a bumpsteer kit and ball joints, or just bumpsteer kit, or what? This is on a 99 GT so if anyone would like to share their experience, that'd be awesome.

EDIT: Also...isolators or no isolators?

(I know another suspension thread...haven't come across all of these questions combined specifically)

• Sponsors (?)

I asked a similar question a while back. A few people said the x2 balljoints failed pretty quickly, and others pointed out some design flaws of the bumpsteer kit.

I heard Moog makes great balljoints for out cars, and that Ford replacement parts are great as well. Really don't hear about many Mustang ball joints going bad.

I had my driver side ball join break on me while driving. Luckily I had just turned onto the on ramp and was going 15mph. If that ball joint would have lasted another 100 yards, it would have been bad.

Are you talking about the X2 ball joints or another brand?

And also, what brand of ball joint (if any) would be recommended for lowering.

And what is everyones opinion on the bumpsteer kit?

I would use either OEM ford ball joints or Moog. Nothing else. Call up steve or mike at tousley ford they will cut you a deal.

If you are concerned about your bump steer go ahead and buy a kit. I would go with MM and nobody else. Just to let you know you will need a bump steer guage to set everything up correctly and it is a slow process to get it all done right.

I have the Steeda X2 ball joints on my car with a 1.25 inch drop, and it drives fantastic. I hear a lot of the negative remarks about the Steeda ball joints, but I've never once heard it backed up with actual real world experiences.

TRW, MOOG, or OEM Ford ball joints, nothing else. I have used/installed numerous UPR 4 bolt caster/camber plates with great success. As far as a bump steer kit goes, unless you are road racing, auto-x, or drifting, I would save your money. Just put some new TRW, MOOG, or OEM Ford tie rod ends on and call it good. One thing I would invest in though is some off set urethane power steering rack bushings.

Just my .02