C&L inlet tube question? VS. MAC CAI.

sasscuba

Dec 24, 2003
Tulsa Oklahoma
Everyone always posted one of the main reasons they did not like the MAC CAI was it was metal and got hot which then made the pipe a hot air intake and not cold like it was supposed to be. What is the difference with the C&L inlet tube? It is also metal. I did the mod to rotate my MAF and wrapped my MAC CAI with header tape and have had no problems and I like it. Waht is the difference? They are both metal.

• Sponsors (?)

A better idea would be to get a hacksaw and saw off the 90* bend that everyone bitches about and attach the filter right infront of the MAF (like it is on the C&L kit and K&N FIPK). It will make it just as good as a K&N FIPK or the C&L inlet tube. I don't understand why people don't talk about doing this, wtf. Wrapping it with the heat shielding will help some too.

StangDriver5650 said:
A better idea would be to get a hacksaw and saw off the 90* bend that everyone bitches about and attach the filter right infront of the MAF (like it is on the C&L kit and K&N FIPK). It will make it just as good as a K&N FIPK or the C&L inlet tube. I don't understand why people don't talk about doing this, wtf. Wrapping it with the heat shielding will help some too.

Anyone else have a thought?

A better idea would be to get a hacksaw and saw off the 90* bend that everyone bitches about and attach the filter right infront of the MAF

You mean like This ......
C&L.jpg

My Car Runs Alot better now ........

Also I ordered a New Conical Air Filter (10")

Ive had both a BBK CAI(which is much like the MAC) and K&N FIPK Gen.II system on my car. So far, the K&N has been the best of the two. I recommend it over the others. The Densecharger if Im not mistaken uses a 90 degree bend in front of the MAF meter so its filter fits into the fenderwell. Although you will pull in the cool air of the fender, you will throw the MAF meter off by means of the 90 degree bend and you may run rich. Although the K&N leaves the filter in the engine bay, its still isolated by its heat shield walls that surround the filter and its positioned right next to the fenderwell. Therefore, it will still draw in the cool air of the fenderwell.

To put it simple, go with the K&N.

I think the C&L is a thicker metal. I have a Ebay CAI that is incased in header wrap. It is like the one in the pic above but I have a one of those Big Mouth K&Ns or whatever they are called

E-Bay CAI with the 90* bend removed is just as good as anything. Plastic, or metal, doesn't matter. The charge of air doesn't have enough time to get heated to the point where you'd be losing any hp. Not sure why anyone would want to put ~$230 into a CAI when you get the same thing for 60$.

Dark Knight GT said:
Ive had both a BBK CAI(which is much like the MAC) and K&N FIPK Gen.II system on my car. So far, the K&N has been the best of the two. I recommend it over the others. The Densecharger if Im not mistaken uses a 90 degree bend in front of the MAF meter so its filter fits into the fenderwell. Although you will pull in the cool air of the fender, you will throw the MAF meter off by means of the 90 degree bend and you may run rich. Although the K&N leaves the filter in the engine bay, its still isolated by its heat shield walls that surround the filter and its positioned right next to the fenderwell. Therefore, it will still draw in the cool air of the fenderwell.

How does the 90 degree bend before the MAF make it run richer? How does the different placement of the filter throw off the MAF reading? I'd think that you'd get a denser charge getting it from the fenderwell than the hotter air of the bay and the MAF can't correctly compensate for it?

I ordered a cold air tube from Roush ($65 shipped to me in 3 days), attached it to the stock MAF w/o screen, and then hooked it up to the stock airbox housing which I all but cut away except for one of the rubber stop things on the bottom of it. I Needed to buy a foot of some fairly small diameter rubber hose, make two 1/4 inch spacers out of some 3/4 inch tubing, and had to purchase two smaller size hose clamps to get everything to fit like a glove. I spent a little less than $70 total for the whole cold air intake. IMO, I think it would work great for anyone with the C&L or Dragon plenum who's looking for a cost-efficient alternative to a 150 to 200 dollar plus cold air kit and doesn't want the look of a "plumbing style" 100% homeade CAI. I ported and polished my upper plenum and added a UPR o/r x-pipe and the car sounds like a friggin' Harley at WOT. Much more of a snarl to it than a rasp. Absolutely wicked:nice: I'll attach a picture of my cold air intake below for y'all:
256362_146_full.jpg